Tile & Glass Mosaic top re-purposed shipping crate

San Bruno, CA(Zone 10a)

I attached a plywood cover with a piano hinge, and added backer board for a glass & tile mosaic table top. I bought & stained enough trim to frame top and make a handle and stained the box. Next, I'll add metal swivel wheels and roll it out next to the barbecue where it will store charcoal, etc. and provide a surface for utensils, etc.

I found two of these crates in my Mom's garage. Unfortunately this idea came to me after the box in better condition was turned into a handy-dandy soil sifter. I added 2 screen door pulls on each side, cut the bottom out and attached 1" wire screen. I used salvaged 2" x 4" lengths to raise it off the ground a little more. I shovel dirt into it and rocks, roots and other debris stay in the box, leaving a nice pile of clean soil below. I'm thinking of adding skids to make it easier to pull around, wheels won't work in the dirt.

I love doing projects like this!

Thumbnail by Garden_Gal10
This thread has 8 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!