Helenium

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I got 'Mardi Gras' this year and really like it! What other cultivars would you recommend?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm interested in the responses too. I also have 'Mardi Gras' and love it. Wouldn't mind another one sneezeweed.

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

I have 2 red ones that I love. I think one is Rubenzweig (sp?) and one is Moerheim Beauty. They're really pretty similar. Both get extremely bushy and floriferous.

Thumbnail by perenniallyme

Wow. I want those! I looked at Bluestone Perennials and all they have is some mix and Mardi Gras. I saw a bunch of these listed here:

http://www.helenium.net/

I don't know where to buy them, but I want Red and Yellow!

Where did you get those? Thanks for sharing!

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the link. I had no idea there were so many cultivars, but as you can see, a lot of them are hard to tell apart.

I think both of those came from local nurseries, as did Mardi Gras and a supposed to be yellow one I have, which turned out to also have a bit of red in it.

I can't believe they're in full bloom now, and have been for a week or two. Seems they don't usually bloom until August. Hope they'll keep it up into fall, as they did before.

I think they are awesome. I had one last year called 'Lollipop' I think. I ordered the seeds from Thompson & Morgan. It was different, but didn't return this year.

I am also looking for Helenium 'Double Trouble' but can't find it anywhere.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2010 10:08 AM

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

White Flower Farm had Double Trouble but are sold out.

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/30385-product.html

This UK nursery has it but of course it's in the UK. .

http://www.specialperennials.com/Helenium/Helenium_Double_Trouble.htm

These two places are what showed up when I googled.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Here's a fun thread about Helenium that was here recently. Nice pictures in it. Makes me want to run out and try them all!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/756018/?hl=helenium

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Of the seven I grown, Flammades Kathchen is my favorite. It doesn't need to be staked. Most of the others need some support to keep from being floppy. It does help to pinch them back early in the season, which I forgot to do this year. My 'Mardi Gras' died for some reason, but it was really pretty. Chelsey almost died last winter too. I only have one small stalk of it left this year, so I think it must be less hardy than some of the others.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Susan, I just harvested a ton of Mardi Gras seeds yesterday. If you want to try them from seed, I'd be happy to send you some...or lots, lol!
Bev

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks Bev, but I just don't have the room. Here is Flammades Kathchen from a few days ago.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I should have taken this photo before I got out the sprinkler this morning, but here is Zimbelstem the big yellow one in back and Rubinswerg in front. I plant to divide both nex spring and but the same 2 on the other side of the trellis.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess

I rooted cuttings of my Helenium 'Mardi Gras' in a cup of water. They are really doing well!

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Really, Clint?! I'm just gonna have to try that.

Those are just beautiful, Susan! I know what you mean about space. I really did pledge to leave some room for the dogs out back;)

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Wow, me too! I always forget about rooting cuttings.

Pittsburgh, PA

Lincolnitess:

Do you pinch or prune the plants as they grow to keep them bushy? Mine are in total afternoon sun, and they get very tall.
Yours look so bushy and lush!

Judy

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Judy, I do try to remember to pinch them back at least once in about June. I didn't pinch the Flammades Kathchen this year, so am surprised it's not falling over more. Next year, I'm going to try to pinch them back twice and see what happens. I won't mind if they bloomed a little later.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.