Dragon Fruit

Crestview, FL

I live in northern FL, zone 8, close to Pensacola. My grandson wants me to grow a Dragon Fruit?? I've have done research on this plant, and supposedly, we can grow it here, although nobody does. My questions are these:

1. When is the optimum time for planting one and is it best to plant the plant itself from a nursery or to start it from seed?

2. I understand that you need bats or moths to pollinate the flowers, which only bloom at night and it's best to have more than one plant to cross pollinate with. I've been told that my area does have bats although, I've never seen them, but then again, I don't go out much at night.

3. I was thinking about planting it in a self watering 5 gallon container, would that container be big enough?

4. Can I bring it into the house if it gets too cold, as we do get some cold weather in this part of Florida?
joy

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

1. Plant a pup/cutting from the cactus anytime. Just place it with one end about 1 inch below the surface.

2. Hand pollinate with a paint brush. You will know when they are about to bloom.

3. A large vining cactus can grow in a tiny pot. I would start with a 5 and work up to a 7 or 10 gallon.

4. You will need to bring it inside when it gets below freezing.

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

Joy, A pot works fine as the roots never go more than a foot, plus or minus, below the surface. As for bringing it indoors, you would have to keep it pruned pretty severly and that could effect blooming. These plants can get pretty big. You would also need some sort of scaffolding for it to grow on.

Hylocereus undatus, which is most likely what you will acquire, does not like direct intense sun and it will not tolerate freezing. It may survive a short period of frost.

There are self fertile varieties but usually two plants are reccomended. Depending on night pollenators would be very iffy, but hand pollenating is very simple and easy. You just have to get up very very early.

There are several websites that are dedicated to Dragon Fruit growing and I am sure there are growers in Florida. There is a Rare Fruit Growers Society convention being held at Cal Poly in Pomona, California in the near future. It is dedicated to Dragon Fruit cultivation this year and there will be lots of good information available there. Don

As an afterthought, starting from seed is not your best option. Find a rooted plant or, it is easy to propagate from cuttings. Go on line and find growers in your area. Go visit them and someone will sell you, or more likely give you cuttings. Some varieties are much more palatable than others, so ask around to find a good variety.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2010 8:12 AM

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

Joy, To make contact with Dragon Fruit growers in your area try PitayaFruit@yahoogroups.com......this is a forum where dragon fruit growers ask questions and share information and knowledge. Hang out until you feel comfortable and then ask about sources for rooted plants or cuttings in your area. After awhile, following the posts, you might even decide which variety(s) you want to acquire. I have been given both rooted plants and cuttings by other growers in my area. These folks all seem to want to share. Don

Crestview, FL

Wow, thanks' ya'll got more information here from you guys then I did googling the plant for sure.
joy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.