The future of "blackstem" Alocasias . . .

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

Here's a shot of one of my newest - a cross between Alocasia macrorrhizos "blackstem" and my Alocasia "Imperial Giant". Of course, the "blackstems" are actually the petioles, but the corm trunk is also black, so I guess it's not totally inaccurate! This one is still young, but you can see it is headed to becoming a similar size as the Borneo Giant.

Thumbnail by LariAnn
Gainesville, FL

Another of your plants to lust after, LOL.

Big Pine Key, FL(Zone 11)

Now THAT is one very cool Alocasia!!

Scott

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

Drooooling :p

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful hybrid, LariAnn! Any decision on an name yet?

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

That is very nice! Please post pics of it when it gets really big.

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

I'm in love ; )

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

its great to see new additions to plants we can add to our gardens.. i guess its out couple yrs before we will
have access to buy this plant LariAnn? thanks to you for your passion in aroids and for people like me to
benifit from it.. :)

Louisville, KY

Looks good wondering what max size might be??

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

bwilliams?? what cool new plants will you have for us next yr??? i plan to get many more super
plants you grow.... ones i had put in this yr got HUGE !!!! my thai giant..was huge.. both plants flowered.. and
had leaves almost 5' long.. i had so many comments on them.. i am looking foward to putting in alot of tropicals
next yr.. good fun..

Louisville, KY

Here is a link on another thread about two of my new hybrids. They are out but will hopefully be seen much more this coming spring. Both were breed for cold hardiness.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1114796/

Garden Grove, CA(Zone 10a)

How exciting to know we have a new great plant. I stand in line for this one.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

me too tropisocaldave..
Bwilliams is the best!! ive bought plants from him for several yrs now..and always super pleased!!
just got some portoras from him..and they are doing great.. they will be super big plants this summer..
cant wait..
thanks to all for your efforts to add to our fun with new and improved plants!!
happy T day to all.. eat hardy!!

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

The max size of my new blackstem remains to be seen, but so far the size is equal to the Borneo Giant. Cool weather has slowed the plant down a bit, so ultimate size will have to wait until Spring 2011.

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

Here's a current view of my plant - you can see the size that the plant is attaining.

Thumbnail by LariAnn
Louisville, KY

Great looking plant. I remember seeing it last time I visited.

Thanks to all on this list and others that help breeders like me and LariAnn out with our breeding and plants. The future of these and other plants can be amazing and mind blowing. Helping the breeders out help to make these plants possible. Thanks

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

Here's a picture of another seedling from the same cross. Notice how different the leaves look on this one, even while the black petioles are still present.

Thumbnail by LariAnn
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

My work with the blackstems went in several other directions. Here is a pic of a nice cross of the blackstem with A. alba. The leaves are thicker and corrugated like on A. alba. So this one is part of the blackstem future as well.

Thumbnail by LariAnn
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Jeez, and I gotta live in stinkin' cold Wisconsin............

The ones I got from you, bwilliams, are still smallish. Hope they take off and really grow one of these days. They all made it through the summer, so that is a plus.I've moved them up to the next sized larger pot twice, so there is hope. :>)

Gainesville, FL

wow I can't believe I found this thread on my homepage after all this time. I remember all your beautiful plants LariAnn. I'm glad to see you are still going.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.