Show Us Your Favorite Border Bearded Irises

Bakersfield, CA

I thought it might be fun for people to show pictures of their favorite Border Bearded irises, and I'll start this off with two that I just purchased. I took these two pictures up in Salem, Oregon this spring, and the first is I think my favorite of out of all of them:

IMBROGLIO

Thumbnail by Betja
Bakersfield, CA

Next is Marky Smith's new BB JAGUAR (not the best flower, but you can see the color!)

Thumbnail by Betja
Bakersfield, CA

Here is a picture my sister took of CROW'S FEET:

Thumbnail by Betja
Bakersfield, CA

BB BUNDLE OF LOVE

Thumbnail by Betja
Bakersfield, CA

And the 2010 winner of the AIS Knowlton Medal for BB's,
EYE CANDY

Thumbnail by Betja
Bakersfield, CA

BB HIS HONOR

Thumbnail by Betja
Bakersfield, CA

ORINOCO FLOW

Thumbnail by Betja
Bakersfield, CA

And the first non-tall bearded Dykes Medal Winner, from the 1950's I believe,
BROWN LASSO

Thumbnail by Betja
Bakersfield, CA

A really bad picture of an absolutely beautiful almost black BB with those incredible beards,

LADY OF THE NIGHT

Thumbnail by Betja
South Hamilton, MA

We have trouble with the borders growing out of class for height here--Eye Candy is one of them. I think our long cool spring does it. Crow's Feet is exactly 27" in height bless its heart. It is unique.

Bakersfield, CA

A nice BB from the Jedlickas at Blue J Iris:

GLO-RAY HALLELUJAH

Thumbnail by Betja
South Hamilton, MA

That's an interesting luminata pattern, did you note the year of introduction? I would like to look it up.

Bakersfield, CA

I finally got a new camera this year and am now able to take pictures of dark iris that actually come out dark, thank heavens! Here is one that we both agree is really too tall for the BB classification, Lucy, but I guess it's still listed as such. And I do love it...

CHIMNEY SOOT

Thumbnail by Betja
Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

Found it!

GLO-RAY HALLELUJAH

(L. & K. Jedlicka, R. 2008) Sdlg. Jeda 5-12Y4. BB, 24-26" (61-66 cm), EM
S. yellow ground heavily infused medium pink-purple, lighter near yellow edge; style arms lacy bright yellow; F. yellow heavily infused red purple, prominent light yellow vein rays, slightly peach around beard, narrow bright yellow edge; beards orange yellow at end, light orange in middle, deep orange in throat; moderately ruffled, serrated edges, glowing yellow ground luminata pattern. Fancy Woman X Lip Service. Blue J Iris 2009.

This message was edited Jul 27, 2010 10:00 AM

South Hamilton, MA

Yes it is a near miss here as well. Lovely saturated color though. Might be good crossed with a yellow as that combination makes black look even darker. It didn't bloom this yr so I couldn't try it.

Bakersfield, CA

GLO-RAY HALLELUJAH is a 2009 introduction from Blue J Iris. They have a nice spread of all their introductions if you want to check it out. I've been really happy with the introductions I've purchased from them.

And here is their other 2009 BB introduction,
TIGERIZED

Thumbnail by Betja
South Hamilton, MA

Mshadow---thank you for finding the Jedlica iris.

South Hamilton, MA

We certainly are skipping around each other.

Bakersfield, CA

And last but not least is one of my very favorites, although it is becoming really hard to find. Aitkens has it this year, so I purchased two more rhizomes because I love it so much. Also in the picture are the IB Silverberry and Bundle of Love.

CHRISTIANA BAKER by Fred Kerr

Thumbnail by Betja
Bakersfield, CA

OK, that's it for me. I'm really hoping others will share BB pictures too, because what I've shown here is just about all I know of them, and I really love them!

Bakersfield, CA

Lucy, could you show us some of yours? I'd love to see them! And I do hope you can pursue that deep black cross with a yellow that you mentioned. Sounds wonderful!

South Hamilton, MA

Apologies the only BB picture I have is my own older BB, Margaret Beaufort. I photograph seedlings for my information and even they are not in the computer. Here's MB.

Thumbnail by irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

Seedling--I have shown it before--need to get more ruffles.

Thumbnail by irisMA
Bakersfield, CA

Very nice!

South Hamilton, MA

I like Lady of the Night here and purple near luminata 'Preposition. It is listed as 23" tall so I thought I would try & it turned out to be 29" here. That is the problem we have. Very nice plant with the flower slight larger than it should be but should also be a good parent. Tried it in 2008 & that is the year sith no germination on anything. Try again. Thank you for showing the pictures & sorry that I wasn't much help.

Imbroglio is awesome!!!

Lucy, love the colors on MB and your seedling, very pretty!

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

This is Orinoco Flow not only my favorite BB but it is also my favoite Plicata just a clean wonderfully tough iris

Thumbnail by avmoran

Really like Orinoco Flow too! Very pretty.

Bakersfield, CA

Last year was my first with Orinoco Flow, and it rapidly became a favorite. It's so much prettier in person than in photos -- that wonderful clean white with purple accents -- fabulous!

Imbroglio is one of Keith Keppel's introductions from 2008, and it really looked wonderful in May in spite of all their bad weather. I have a couple of other pic's of it that I might as well show...

Thumbnail by Betja
Bakersfield, CA

And the field shot. I believe that is Adriatic Waves behind it -- LOVE that one, too!

Thumbnail by Betja
Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

I think I only have one.... Canadian Border..

Thumbnail by naomimade
South Hamilton, MA

grew well when we had it.

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Wow! My wish list keeps getting longer and longer.

I only have 1 BB.

Batik

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
South Hamilton, MA

Borders are not as apt to have wind damage as TBs, but people prefer the talls.

Bakersfield, CA

I can't believe that I forgot some of my very favorites this morning.

BB MOSTEST

Thumbnail by Betja
Bakersfield, CA

I couldn't find my original photo of this one in IPhoto on my desktop, so I borrowed this copy from the one I had put in DG PlantFiles a few years ago. This is truly one of my favorites.

PINK BUBBLES

Thumbnail by Betja
Bakersfield, CA

Well, I guess that didn't work too well...

BB MORNING TWILIGHT

Thumbnail by Betja
Bakersfield, CA

MARY McKENNA

Thumbnail by Betja
Bakersfield, CA

BB NICHE

Thumbnail by Betja
Bakersfield, CA

BB FAUX PAS

Thumbnail by Betja

Post a Reply to this Thread