Fish Fertilizer (NOT emulsion) with and without Kelp

Sheboygan, WI(Zone 5b)

I recently purchased some fish fertilizer with kelp at a state Master Gardeners' Convention - can anyone tell me a little something about how you like it, or how you use, it, how often, on what type of plants, etc.? I've been told I can use it once a season, twice a season, 3 times a season, etc., so I'd like to get some info from the experts. Anything you can tell me would be appreciated. (I've also been told that it's really good for roses - true?)

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Susan ~ What does it say on the directions? That would determine the dosage. Yes, it is good for most any plant. I use it every fortnight. In fact, I will be doing that today. So, have a great day!

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
Sheboygan, WI(Zone 5b)

Hi Evelyn - how funny to get a response from you here!! This is a new "food" for me, so wanted to be sure others who had used it were happy. Trusting your judgment, a lot of my plants will be fed today and we'll see what happens. By the way, that's a gorgeous day lily!! Now that our county garden walk is complete (yesterday - 2500 people and over 12 hours in one day plus 4 hours on Thursday) life will go back to being slow and normal. You may actually hear from me in a real email soon. Thanks for your response - Susan

Susan ~ Yes, it is the first of the month...time to fertilize and change the ComposTumbler. I take the compost out of there...well almost all, then start anew, as it is not completely finished compost. I pile it onto the compost in my fenced garden...then it does not look like a garbage pile, since it can be viewed from the road.

I have a good start to the "Cottage Garden Border", I will have to take a picture of it.

Well, off to the garden now...

CHEERS!

Evelyn

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

Susan - You might consider testing the fish fertilizer first. We have problems with our dog eating the soil where the fertilizer is used. Another DG in PA said she has problems with racoons if she uses it.

Evelyn- What kind of ComposTumbler do you use and how do you like it?

SusanKC

The brand is ComposTumbler. (It actually belongs to my neighbor, but I am not sure she will be wanting it back soon as she has not quite moved up here yet.) This is the photo...it is an older model, but quite sturdy. they are quite expensive, at least for me, so I was happy that she let me borrow it.

http://www.compostumbler.com

Sheboygan, WI(Zone 5b)

Well, so far so good - no dogs or raccoons seem interested in my yard. I'm trying the fish on just one bed this fall (one more treatment) and see if it has any effect on our overwintering (a lot will depend on how bad our winter is). Next spring, everyone will get a little taste and we'll see if all the perennials do as well as the manufacturer states. Will let everyone know when I have definitive results. Susan

What is nice about the ComposTumbler is that no animals can get into it. And when I take out the compost (well, nearly so), I can put in into my fenced garden area to finish. Then it does not look messy.

Are you using seaweed or fish? I have fish emulsion, and it smells quite strongly, but the kelp, one called Seaweed Magic has no strong fragrance.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.