Tree damage from lightning this week.....how do I help it...

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

The inside under the bark is exposed! How do I help the inside without spending alot of money? I had to cut off 2 branches, It's a young Red bud tree, bought it when my 4 yr old grandson was born. Can I add paint to the exposed inside area? Thanks for your help!
Jill - Des Moines, Iowa

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Red buds are pretty resiliant - they will grow multiple stems and will resprout at the base if cut to the ground.
So I don't think you need to worry about losing the whole tree.
If the bark is denuded all the way around, the portion beyond the girdling will die off regardless what you do.
I don't think you're supposed to 'seal' wounds anymore - but I'll defer to the other more knowledgable plant people on DG.

This message was edited Jul 26, 2010 6:10 PM

This message was edited Jul 26, 2010 6:10 PM

Danville, IN

Good advice from Weerobin. Definitely do not seal the wound area!

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the advice! The lightning hit was in the spring, its is now fall, the tree is surviving - how ever , I will ask a tree person to come look at it & try to sort of straighten the tree out, since it happened in spring the entire upper portion of the tree is leaning over my neighbor's fence, I tried to straighten it my self but I'm not 'strong' enough, SO - it may need a tree persom with a 'winch' to get it more upright again.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I had a big pine tree hit and the lightning basically burned half the tree trunk for about 12 ft. End result was a tree with green needles on the branches and a half rotted trunk that about a year after it got hit starting making a noise in the wind. I didn't realize it was rotten until I hit it with a hammer around the trunk looking for a bad spot, it was a huge bad spot and i ended up cutting down the tree. It was a goner but it did surprise me that it really didn't look like anything was wrong with it except an exit hole where apparently the lightning shot out of the bottom of the tree.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

I have a 100+ year old white oak that was hit by lightening a little over 2 years ago. Fortunately the strike made a "V" instead of a straight line going down through the whole trunk. It has continued to flourish. About the same time a 60+ yr old pecan tree was hit too. So far it's fairing well. So I am thanking the tree gods.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.