CT blooms are a coming! 7/25/10

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

After battling spider mites with hort oil, stopping last week... I finally get a bloom! Cindy's Heart made a beautiful bloom yesterday!

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Another

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

and another

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

My hardy red hibiscus bloomed! Does anyone know the name of this variety? I have so many stakes holding it up, it is almost 7' tall!!

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Look how tall!!

Thumbnail by blupit007
(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

WOW, beautiful pics Kristen...That hardy hib is pretty also, sorry I don't know the name.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

I was waiting for that thing to stop growing! It got bigger and bigger meanwhile the Lady Baltamore next to it is just a foot 1/2' tall!

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

Very nice! CH is definitely a keeper! And your hardy plant is huge! Was that a recent photo? No wedding ring ;-)

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Quite Observant D!! This was taken yesterday morning, I changed out of my PJ into the clothes I wore the day before so you didn't have to see my poka dot skibbies! Sometimes I sleep with my ring on, sometimes off... That night, off. When I woke up and saw that it finally bloomed, I couldn't wait, I was just so excited to get a photo of it that I made Matt snap it real quick (still in my pj's) then saw what I looked like, and made him take it again, this time with a bra on.....

When CH gets a bit bigger, I will def get a cutting for you!! Right now, she has 3 buds about to bloom, Saffron and Belle right behind her!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Loved your CH & your big hardy Hibiscus. That's really tall & a beautiful shade of red. Thanks for sharing these beauties with us, Kristen.

Hugs,
Judy

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

I have 4 bushes with blooms on it today!! Yay!!!

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Belle du Jour

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Belle & Cindy

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Belle & Saffron

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Cindy's Heart, little different today, a touch of yellow

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Saffron

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Baja Breeze twins

Thumbnail by blupit007
Los Angeles, CA

Great bloom day for you Kristen!

Don't you just love that? It's like nature is rewarding you for a job well done :-)

Great job Kristen! Love that Saffron!

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Saffron is a rock star, a bit smaller today though. It has been dropping to the high 60's at night though!

Los Angeles, CA

Saffron varies alot for me too! It looks like I should have some blooms to share in the near future. Here is my Black Dragon and Dragon's Heart again :)

Thumbnail by Gibberillins
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Hey, How is that black dragon doing?? I got rid of mine, and I thought I was dodging a bullet because I heard it likes to commit suicide out of no where...

Los Angeles, CA

Black Dragon is doing great. I got two of them from a nursery here, marked premium annual lol. I have never had a problem with Black Dragon, in my experience it is just less forgiving of mistakes than other CVs. Its flowers are really something else and it grows with good vigor. Since you have a green thumb I think that it will do fine for you. So far I haven't had any problems with the CVs that are considered sensitive, as long as you give them what they need they will do great!

Kristen you actually got rid of a hibiscus?

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Chris, That BD is so beautiful. Dee, remember the forum that I asked what snow scale was ( http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1112404/ ) ? Well I was really mad at the man who sent them to me, and when I talked to him he said to send them all back and he would refund my money. Well I packed them all up (all 4) and brought them to the post office. It was going to be $50. So I took the biggest 2 out. Tiger's Eye and The path. Sent 5th and BD to Florida instead. When he got them he emailed me, turned out that since I was really nice to him, he refunded me the $120 that I payed for all 4 of the plants + SH, not only that, but when I checked my statement, he payed for the $13 that it cost for me to send the 2 back. He said that I can have these, and if I like them at the end of the growing season, then I could pay him for them. Really nice guy. So now I miss those 2 CV's and now that I see Chris's BD I'm mad I got rid of it!

Los Angeles, CA

Yikes Snow Scale,

Fancy hibiscus is a NO as far as quality of plants is concerned. There are only two vendors that I like besides hiddenvalleyhibiscus.com, hibiscus place and hibiscusladyhawaii are both good. Ive heard good things about exotic hibiscus, but I have never gotten them! I hope that you dont have any snowscale on your plants. Luckily on the west coast and rockies its too dry for them to survive.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Naw, I got rid of them quick enough. Thankfully... I have his Tiger's Eye and The Path................

I have only ordered from HVH, then Fancy, then 2 weeks ago I placed an order with Tried and True. Have you ever done business with them? I have heard good things about them. Then as you know Chris, another order with HVH, can't believe I missed that Confection Perfection like that! Whatever!

Los Angeles, CA

I know Kristen! Their business is booming, great for them, but sometimes its annoying how fast these CVs go. I tried twice now to get Ruby Tuesday, once in January and the other time in June. Both times I completed check out and I get an e-mail from Cindy saying that one person in front of me got the last one! Gah! This also happened with Jewel of the Nile, but for a plant to go so fast that check out doesnt mean you have it is really something. At least Geronimo and Snowy Sky are two that I was lucky enough to get. :) That means in the future I can trade wood of those two as well :)

Oh and I haven't used Tried and True yet, your going to have to let me know how you like them. What did you order?

This message was edited Aug 2, 2010 5:43 AM

Sigh, Tried and True doesn't ship to CA...so we are SOL

Los Angeles, CA

I guess its harder to get certified for Cali Shipping, there are soo many agricultural restrictions!

I thought Tried and True has been out of all stock for quite awhile....how do you all know when HVH is stocking these plants and when to "jump on them" before they are gone? Do they announce it on the home page or do ya'll just pick what you want and watch for it to be in stock?

Los Angeles, CA

General rule with HVH is usually the day after their open houses, the last sat of the month, they restock :)

Thanks Gibberillins!

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

From T&T I got Eyelash, Mis Behavin, & Roman Candle. You know, I looked at Ruby Tuesday last month, wanted it real bad too. I put it in my cart and sat there wondering if I should order something else... Then I lost it. Pretty sure that is what happened with CP yesterday. But I jumped on Space Oddity, Gator Pride, & My Blue Heaven and they were shipped today!

Chris since you are moving perhaps your new plants need a place to stay until you get settled in. I could certainly do that and then conveniently forget to give them back to you :-)

Los Angeles, CA

LOL Dee,

I am having HVH keep them until I get settled :) Check out Burnt Saffron, its growing like crazy and this was a 4 inch purchase from HVH shipped at the end of May. See that tall center branch? That is for you :)

Los Angeles, CA

Kristen,

Great choices! I cant wait to see pics of those in the near future! :)

Awww a baby in the making! Thanks!

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

So, I got my order from T&T... Here is a photo of them all. Let me know what you think.

Thumbnail by blupit007

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.