Can't get my Thunbergia grandiflora to bloom

Lewes, DE(Zone 7b)

I grew the plant last year, starting from a large plant picked up at a nursery in spring, and it was in full bloom before th 4th of July, blooming like mad until frost. This year, same size plant picked up, plus two additional -- it was so beautiful I put it a couple of other places in the garden -- in same place, and in two other places, ranging from more sun (full sun) to a little less than the spot from last year, all with great soil, and though it's growing fast as it did last year and all 3 are huge, it is not blooming or even forming buds on any of the three plants.

Does anyone have ideas about what I can do?

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I have several of these in the ground and no blooms yet here, either - I think you just need to be patient. My variegated T.g. has never bloomed - it's in the ground, too - I don't think there's a secret, except time.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

These really do seem to be late summer bloomer's my alba has bud's......and is not as old as my blue/lavender. If' it's been dry where you are, try watering.............too hot to fertilize at more than half strenght ............. at least here.

Mj, I have a sprinkler system that runs every evening and I use the oscillating sprinkler, so they get enough water, I feel certain.

I think it may just be too early, yet, now I think I'll go poke around those vines and see if I see any buds. LOL....see what you started !

Aasalas started it - not me. I have never had mine bloom before Sept.

Buds are forming on both.....tiny...but they are there.

Wonderful - I'll go out and check mine!

Kay, you probably do, if not soon now !

Nope, nary a bud on any of the 4 vines, all in different locations in my yard.

Kay,
maybe your just enough farther north ?

That might be, but I know it WILL bloom - it's just when?!

Kay, I bet soon !

Ok, I hope so - the blooms are so beautiful! Of course, mine all go up into 30' trees, so I might not ever know about those blooms until the fall to the ground.

I've got mine in several place's too...both white and lavender/blue are on the riding arena fence, and both are planted to run up the beams to the roof of one of the stables, and then the lavender/blue is on a wall of another small stable. I think I'm going to take that one out as it get's very little sun ( north side) and I have other vines I'd like to put there.

Oh, that sounds pretty! I'd love to see pictures when they bloom.

I'm hoping the one's on the beams to the barn bloom this year, I just took 1 of each plant and planted them together so they will be mixed. Growing like crazy !

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.