Viburnum Questions

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

I have two questions about two different viburnum species, both pictured . . .

1. Last year, I put two Viburnum plicatum 'Mariesii' in this full sun border. Everything I read said full sun to part shade would be fine for it. It's actually grown nicely and has very good foliage. But it gets dog eared in the sun! I still read articles where writers acknowledge the dog ear issue even while writing full sun is good. Doesn't dog ears mean full sun is NOT good? That it doesn't like full sun? Maybe the issue is complicated with heat and water because we had 7" of rain two days ago and it's cooled down to about 85 degrees and I noticed the sun did not cause the wilt today. Should I leave them where they are or try to relocate while I still can? (They've at least doubled in size since last year!)

P.S. Neither flowered this year, which I attributed to its spending last season growing strong roots instead of flower buds . . . right? Or, wrong?

2. The shrub in the middle is a Viburnum dentatum 'Chicago Lustre'. I love it and it looks healthy, but we had a storm shortly after this picture was taken in late June and the wind/rain made the branches arch outward. But they never straightened back up! Should I try to physically straighten them? I'm just afraid that since they're woody, they will grow into that shape forever!

Thumbnail by sherriseden
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

sherriseden:

God love ya, you are ambitious.

Your image shows some great plants - 'Mariesii' Doublefile Viburnum, Chicago Lustre® Arrowwood Viburnum, and some Common Lilac individuals. I think your main concern should be that each of these species wants to be 12' x 12' or larger. To keep them at bay in that relatively small corridor is going to be a supreme challenge.

That aside...'Mariesii' Doublefile will exhibit dog-eared behavior when exposed to drought stress and high heat. It won't matter whether it is in full shade or full sun. It wants additional water when these conditions occur. In the site you've shown, you could easily lay in a section of drip hose and use it when moisture conditions call for it. All those species shown would benefit from this opportunity.

Flowering is usually dependent somewhat on age, somewhat on root disturbance (like transplanting and associated stress), and primarily on pruning at the wrong time. Most people inadvertantly cut off spring flowers when trying to shape their plants after they've set buds/flowering branches. Don't do that.

Your Arrowwood Viburnum is going to be just fine. If branches are pointing or growing directions that you don't like, prune them away and let other branches grow. I don't think you can possibly kill it or damage it. You will enjoy 2-3' growth extensions (or more, depending on moisture/fertility) annually, so prepare for lots of flowers and lots of fruit...especially if you have a cross-pollinator handy.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Viburnum Valley! Yes, I knew these species would get fairly large, but between the hope that they will stay on the low side of the size estimates and my judicious pruning, I think I can make it work.

Following your advice last year about my 'Blue Muffin' not fruiting, I planted that 'Chicago Lustre' and sure enough I did get a good number of flowers and fruit on both, BUT . . . waiting expectantly for blue fruits on my 'Muffin', I caught some ants eating them a few weeks ago in their green stage!! AARRGGHH! I sprayed 'em off with the hose. Some berries are left and I'm sure they will mature.

Darned ants! If they're not trying to bring my silver maple down (caught them "woodworking" in a cavity), they're after my blue fruits!

Maybe you need to put some honey out for the ants...

Not to rub anything in, but this has been a spectacular fruiting season for viburnums. Even my Blue Muffin® arrowwoods are giving fine account of themselves. When next at home, I'll post a few images of the various blue fruiters where one can make comparisons.

I might just pick a bunch of clusters, and take one picture of them all lined up. Mug shots...

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Well, the little buggers left me a FEW fruits. They're really pretty, though! (Pic attached) Hey - maybe I'll take your idea a little further and copy the little bunch in the attached about a hundred times, and scatter the copies around on a pic of my Blue Muffin! : )

Thumbnail by sherriseden

Make it look like this:

Viburnum dentatum Little Joe™

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Or maybe your plants aspire otherwise...

Viburnum dentatum Chicago Lustre®

Or maybe this one, which hasn't been as happy with the recent heat/drought...

Viburnum dentatum Cardinal™

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh, just wait, VV . . . next year I will monitor my viburnums for ants 24/7 with a water hose and a shotgun if I have to and we shall see who has the largest bunch of blue fruits!!

P.S. Never even touched a shotgun in my life. Warn the neighbors!
P.P.S. My foliage is greener!

: ) : )

Greener foliage is because your plants are not expending any energy producing fruit - and I don't typically add any fertilizer to these individuals. Some of that weather-beaten look is due to heat/drought in June, too. We've recently gotten some good soaking rains.

These plants will look different/greener after the birds strip all the fruit over the next month or so.

I don't think you have to worry too much about ants doing you any damage. As your plants mature, there'll be plenty of fruit to go around.

Northeast, IL(Zone 5b)

VV, hope you don't mind if I jump in here with a question. I planted an Autumn Jazz viburnum this spring to cross-pollinate my own Chicago Lustre. It lost most of its leaves a few weeks ago. I thought I had been watering it enough but maybe not. What should I do now besides keep it watered? What are its prospects for recovery?

Don't mind the jump-in, but you should probably start your own thread on this subject. Believe it or not (!), there are others that know a thing or two about viburnums (or at least one thing) and certainly more about northern IL gardening besides me.

I'd like to see images of your AJ's current conditions, and then I'd be able to offer more advice. Starting a new thread would keep all this together as a subject, and alert others to participate.

Except plantfreak78 - that's the only opinion I'd exclude...

Northeast, IL(Zone 5b)

I'll do that as soon as I can find my camera and figure out how to post a photo, LOL. Fortunately I have a teenage niece with me for the summer who can take over this project. ;)

I figured it out pretty quickly, and I'm from the Abacus School of Technology.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.