Waterton, Alberta camping 2010

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

My DH and I were camping in Waterton, Alberta Canada (Waterton National Park is on the Canada side of Glacier National Park in Montana)
Here are the pictures, not necessarily in order of the scenery and things we did and went to!
Here's the campground office building (and their living quarters in the top floor)

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Here's the mountains that are at the front of the park - beautiful!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

These are the rain clouds that greeted us when we were entering the park... before that we were in Hail - about golf ball sized and were rather frightened of the hail breaking our windshield! We stopped by the side of the road to lessen the effects of the hail. There were motorcyclists riding in this too!

This message was edited Jul 25, 2010 1:39 PM

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Here's our campsite set up - we have a 10-person tent, with a 24' x 12' tarp over top to make an extension overhang to stay under when it rained. The tent doesn't look big, but it's the largest Coleman makes and it's got 2 rooms and the highest point is 6'5"!
My DH is looking at the sights through his binoculars. He's 6'3" so that will give you some idea of size of things around him.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Here's our truck, with the new hammock we bought. You have to straddle it to get on, but once you've mastered that, it's easy (to fall off, sometimes LOL)

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

This is our evening view from our campsite (with the neighbour's van next to ours)

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

As I said, we arrived in the rain on Sunday, and here's Monday night...... with a beautiful hot day, it rained again and here's water waterfalling off our overhang. You can see the rain on our truck tire......

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

The sun broke out in time for use to make and eat dinner, but we couldn't go out in the rain to heat water to do dishes, so the dirty pan is sitting on our water jug.
Here's the 2-stepper I have to use to get in and out of our truck...... I'm just a short person ^_^

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

We went horseback riding, and here's my DH on his horse, Spot

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Gosh it's beautiful country! A little rugged for a greenhorn such as myself (haven't been riding for 30+ years!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Here's our trail rider leader - Tyrell - born and raised around Waterton

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Payne Lake - I hear it's good fishing!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Here's a picture of my horse, Honey (well, her neck anyway lol)

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Our trail ride over, an hour later, Tyrell took a picture of Bob & I

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Tyrell watches as Bob (correctly?) fixes the harness(?). Tyrell said he did, but he may just have been being polite.....

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Bob's playing the electric organ (yes, we had power hookup....) to soothe the wild critters! He plays quite a melodic, soothing piece, but can't read a word of music. He makes it up as he goes along!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

This is Silky Locoweed - it's really quite pretty and I like it!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Thank you Stacey for letting me know this is a Geranium! It has a woody stem and is really pretty

This message was edited Jul 26, 2010 7:27 AM

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Fields, ponds and mountains, a good combination for anyone, landlubber or not! This, by the way, is in our campground - beautiful! The green posts are the power hookups, and the white part on top is the night light.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2010 2:42 PM

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

More rain coming, but we're having good weather in between rains!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Such a lot of wildflowers, and I don't know all their names! This one is Lupine, as per Stacey! Thank you.

This message was edited Jul 26, 2010 7:28 AM

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

This one looks like a bunch of little orchids....... in a cluster - called Bee Balm (thank you, Stacey, for letting me know the name of it!)

This message was edited Jul 26, 2010 7:29 AM

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Here's a close-up

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

The majesty of the mountains in the distance always awes me....

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

These tall spires seem to love the waterside, and I don't know their name, either!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Ah, the Canadian Thistle, so widely popularized in Scotland......

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I never tire of looking at mountains

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

We went on a Nature Trail and these are some of the sights we saw... for instance, the Alberta Wild Rose - our provincial flower, in it's miniature version up on the hill

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Waterton Springs Campground - the only part showing is the Camp Office, and the RV part - there's more RV and Tent camping in the trees and you obviously can't see it. It's a huge part of the campground though. You only see 1/3 of what's available for the campground. There's Dry camping too - no power or water available for the diehards. I'm not one of those - I'll travel for water and "facilities" but not power!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Here's one of the "hidden" dry tent spots - most of the site is hidden in the trees.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Here's my DH on the hill, talking to the critters hiding in the field - he's chattering to them.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

This volcanic rock isn't lichen-covered, it's the actual colour of the rock - orange, black and white.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

another field & mountain shot

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

another shot of Waterton Springs Campground

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Here's a field shot with some Brown-Eyed Susans ^_^

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Here's the furthest SE corner of the campground - the fence is where the property ends, and the last campsite - dry, of course.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Here's a field of Alberta Wild Rose. They do get much larger when grown in yards, of course, but it's illegal to dig them up. They are the provincial flower.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

This is Spreading Dogbane - prettier than it's name ^_^

This message was edited Aug 16, 2010 8:19 AM

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Another Alberta Wild rose, but this one is white, not the provincial colour which is the dark pink one.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Beautiful photos of Waterton Susan. Looks like you had a great camping spot with all those mountain views and wild flowers.

That purple flower in 7996061 & 7996064 looks like Monarda (Bee balm) to me.

Joanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.