Ginkgo biloba 'beijing gold'

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

just have to share this one. breaks yellow in spring and then goes streakin'

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Very pretty!

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

dybbuk, where can I order a dwarf type ginkgo from? They want $280 for 3 ft tall ones locally.I want a dwarf kind to add to my conifer garden.
Kyle :-)

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Well, Kyle, for that kind of bargain you ought to buy three.

dybbuk:

I hope you keep at this long enough to produce some offspring from your collection. That one above (or its ilk) should have a classier title - something like 'Van Gogh'.

Those paint brush streaks just have such an ethereal quality...

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Kyle, I have a lot of sources but generally I buy them very small and sit back and WAIT. I'm a geek and enjoy the leaf-by-leaf progress so it's cool with me. If you know what dwarf cultivar you're looking for, I can guide you.

Some of my favorites:

'jehosophat'
'rocky'
'troll'
'robbie's twist'
'dj's bowtie'
'green pagoda' (you can get it on amazon for $20)

VV, I agree with you on the 'beijing gold'. it's an odd one though because it has 2 striking seasons. In spring, the leaves are a clear yellow and then the paint fairy comes and brushes them with happiness.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Gorgeous! What is the annual growth rate? I see hostas behind it, is yours in part shade to keep the leaves from burning? Roughly what percentage of leaves are streaked?

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

It's a new one for me and this year I got close to a foot of growth. I did have it in full sun and it had no problems with burning (unlike my other variegates). I just moved it for the fun of it. I'd say 40% of the leaves are streaked. Also I should mention that the leaves are particularly thick and stiff. It's my new favorite.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

The ones at the local nursery are green pagoda. I just want a cultivar that stays short and not too wide.I am up to about 156 kinds of conifers now and am running out of room!! LOL
Kyle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.