Declining Annabelles

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

I put these 'Annabelle' hydrangeas in last year and they did sort of OK . . . Blooms were nice but few, flopped a lot, and wanted constant water. This year, they did less OK (see pic from June this year) . . . fewer blooms, lots of flop.

I'm convinced now that they are not happy where I have them. They get morning sun and afternoon shade, which I thought was perfect, but I see Annabelles around her growing in full sun and looking way better! Perhaps they don't like being crowded together and next to the house? I thought of moving them to a new garden I dug by garage under the drip line and with a bit more sun. Do you think that would help?

This message was edited Jul 24, 2010 9:26 AM

Thumbnail by sherriseden
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Here in zone 7 they are grown in full sun. Hope they all improve for you. Compost and mulch are their best friends. The plant is on the extreme right in this photo and they co-exist peacefully with the dahlias.

Thumbnail by pirl
Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes, the more I see and read, the more I think they need more sun. Thanks!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Good luck and let us know how it works out for the hydrangeas.

Upper Saint Clair, PA(Zone 6a)

I have annabelles that grow, bloom, and thrive in full shade. I wonder if it is the small distance between the driveway and the house? I understand annabelles in full sun need lots of water. I have about 7 annabelles and they all do well in shade to semi shade. Good luck.

Thumbnail by linjasar
Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Thank you, Linjasar. I think that has a lot to do with it . . . they are very crowded in that 1 and 1/2 foot strip. I did it because I saw others that did well, but . . . that, combined with little sun and they're just not happy!

Upper Saint Clair, PA(Zone 6a)

Sherriseden, I am no expert, but I wonder what the cement does to the soil as far as acidity and heat. That was just my first guess. Once again, the annabelles in that photo get no direct sunlight once the oak tree comes out. I do have a friend who grows them in full sun and she has a professional irrigation system installed so they do fine. Good luck! I just love my annabelles in the shade...they are so bright.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

They are very beautiful, indeed, linjasar! You may be on to something about the cement and Ph. I will test it.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I've been heavily mulching my annabelle hydrangeas with pine needles because I have a large pine in my yard. They've thrived through the extreme heat we've experienced this summer in the midwest.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the tip!

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

I had anticipated getting two annabelles in a trade. I sent my end and daylahmnas never sent their end. Nice. I would love some annabelles (daughters name is Anna).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.