Need an I.D. Please

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

This was put in the ground as 'Anastasia' in the spring of 2009, but it did not bloom last summer. This summer it grew, and grew and is over the top of the 6ft. dog fence....and it is def. NOT Anastasia!!
Anyone recognise this beauty???

This message was edited Jul 24, 2010 7:34 AM

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Here's a full shot, you can see how it towers over the top of the fence.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

It looks a lot like 'Elusive', Pixie. Where did you get it? It's fairly widely available now, but last fall it wasn't yet. It originated from the Lily garden's Judith Freeman. A beauty for sure. That's my best guess.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

It's lovely! To help you out, I'll take it off your hands and replace it with Anastasia. ;)

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Funny you should say that Tracy, that was my guess too....but the timing was off. I'll have to look at my records to see if I can locate where I bought it. it was either a co-op or one of the lily bulb companies.

Moby your too funny! maybe we can work a trade ......^_^

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Tracey, does this look like your 'Cheops' ??
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/180741/

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

The only place I can see getting 'Cheops' in a mix up is in the PNWLS Lily Society with the Maks. I haven't seen that one ever carried by anyone else. It still looks more 'Elusive'-ish than Cheops. I might shoot off an email to the Lily Garden. It is her lily (bred by Judith originally) and if it is 'Elusive', Judith will most certainly know it. Just be patient with the response ;)

Either way, the colors you have are much richer than mine here in the Midwest, so it is not certain. Do let us know what you find out.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I'm patient, heck I have no idea what this 6ft beauty is if you don't!! LOL

The colors washed out on the later blooms due to the heat and humidity.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Whats throwing me off on this one is what looks like a purple stigma on the "maybe Elusive". Elusive has a green stigma. But with the narrower petals it doesn't look like Cheops either. It could be anything and if it is from a PNWLS Mak bag it could even be from Mars as far as we know.

So Pixie, is the stigma green or more purplish?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

green, from begining to end. I have one that has lost all it's petal and only the stigma is left...it's green. I'll see if I can get a picture of it.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

If it was a dutch mix up, I would bank on it being 'Elusive'. If it was from Brent and Becky's , I know they purchase from the Dutch where this is *NEW* (Elusive, that is). Cheops coming from the direction would not be as likely.

I'd send your pix to Judith for further evaluation. I really would. Whoever it is, it's looking mighty fine at your place Pixie.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks Tracey :)

OK, would you call this green?

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

One more straight on.....no white paper behind it.

Thumbnail by pixie62560

Yes, its light colored anyway. Some stigmas can be dark purple, an obvious difference that can be useful when trying to identify lilies.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

I adopt all orphans,,, LOL that is a beauty. Along with all the others you have.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

LOL EFG!! Thank you very very much :)

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

You are very welcome

Poland, ME

Sure looks like Elusive to me

Thumbnail by Mainiac
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh thank you for that photo Ramona, how are you?? The move go OK? Let me know if I can help with any plants you may have had to leave behind...im only an hour or two away. :) Im leaning more and more towards Elusive, especially now I see that picture of one growing in Maine. I have no idea how I got it but am thankful it's in my garden. ^_^

Poland, ME

The household is moved! The plants are being moved now. I have about half of the daylilies here and the rest to follow. Lilies will be the last to move. The hosta's all all lkiving with friends (of mine, not the hosta's, LOL) Until next year. Now the neighbor tells me that our property is as deer crossing! :(

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh NO!!!!

In her catalog Judith described the color of Elusive as being quite variable depending on night temperatures. Cool nights result in predominate pink color and warm nights produce predominate yellow flowers. Its one of the aspects of Elusive that make it such a beautiful lily.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Maybe you can put up electric wire "fencing"...

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

cayenne pepper and lots of it. Dollar store.

Arcata, CA(Zone 9b)

My Elusive is in bloom right now. It looks like the same

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thank you mnorberry, thats good news!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

OK I just have to wae in here.
I saw the refrence to B&B's and ordered Acapulco last fall.Natuerally that is not what came up.Mine looked like yours Pixie pale ping w/yellow throat.
This is Acapulco that I ordered pictured with what bloomed in July.
The edges turned pinker as it matured.

Thumbnail by ge1836
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Ge, the white one looks like my 'Xotica'
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/132244/

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Ohhhhh yes it does. Thanks

With all of the mislabeling that goes on I guess vendors think you will forget what your lilies are supposed to look like by the time they bloom.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Good thought.I am weary of trying to track down missnamed ones.
I am not a hybridizer so its really not that important.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It sure does seem like a lot of mislabeling going on. I'm a little surprised at Brent and Becky though. Although I'm sure they would rush to make it right or refund.

I guess no matter how well you pick your souce for the wholesale bulbs, you're going to get mislabeling. Because I'm sure Brent and Becky pick from who they feel is the most reliable.

If they bloom wrong here, I say ouch, and then say Jenna.........My granddaughter takes any lily home, especially if they smell cloyingly sweet, or are really bright in color.

Edited to say, Pixie that lily is gorgeous, no matter what the name.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2010 12:24 PM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have had a couple of mis stepps from B&B and they made good.
Last fall I ordered Acapulco (a short veriety) and Linda. I planted both in pots that did well over winter in my garage.Neilther lily was true.Linda was Loretto a stummer no doubt and Acapulco was so boreing I just let the whole thing pass.
The first year I lived here I ordered Lady Alice and the five were Species Regale. They gave me a credit which was great. I have ordered bron B&D lilies and had mistakes,they bent over backwards to make it right.
Scheepers order this fall was really wrong,Algarve,Samuer's were all Rosettas Dream,including the 5 Rosettas Dreams,thats 15 Rosettas Dreams. I'm so loaded with lilies now I didnt bother to send for a correction. This stuff just happens,I am not mad about it.It really is necessary to keep a sence of humour when gardening.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Hello everyone ...I'm resurrecting this thread to bring you the lastest in this mystery lily i've now come to call "Elusive'. Last year it topped out @ a little over 6ft. I never actually measured it but know the fence is 6ft. and it passed it.
THIS YEAR....I measured it.
It hit 6 ft. the first of June, over 7ft by the end of June and I measured it on Tuesday @ a hair over 105 inches.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Reminds me of the song, "Stairway to the Stars".

Make sure you supply us with lots more photos as Elusive opens, Celeste.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

That = 8 ft. 7 inches and it's no where near ready to bloom. ^_^

This is the same line of fence that is in the photo above from last year. All of my lilies were in bloom @ that time but not now. It's still to early so I have a feeling this Monster Lily will continue to grow. ^_^

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

LOL Pirl! I will, this thing is amazing!!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

WOW!!!

Poland, ME

I am duly impressed!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That must be one of those tree lilies, LOL.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.