Ducks on the water?

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I read this description of a once recommended iris planting method, which was discredited by the author. But with all of the rain we are continuing to get this year, I think it might be the year for it! The idea is that the rhizomes sit on top of the soil (uncovered) and the roots grow down into the soil. Or you could think of it as the rhizomes float on the water like ducks...

South Hamilton, MA

just make sure that the spot where the roots attach to the rhizome are covered. Some climates need a light covering of soil of the rhizome so they won't sunburn. But no reason to discredit that way of planting.

Raleigh, NC

caitlin - as I've posted before, in 2008, I set my irises under a tree to keep them out of scorching August sun while planting. Got sick, never planted but 5. They rooted. But, not all did, about 1/2 did.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2010 11:23 AM

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Shreiners 'Ducks' LOL!!! These are Golden Panther

Thumbnail by naomimade

Hmmmm.....looking back at all my pictures...almost all of Shreiners rhizomes were half way out of the soil..... but then, that's Oregon where they get soaked! If they weren't above the wet ground, they could have rotted.... but these are happy rhizomes! &:-)

Thumbnail by naomimade
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Thanks for the pics! Did Schreiners plant them that way, or did they "float" to the top?

I have no idea.... they sure were healthy tho!

Lebanon, OR

They plant both ways depends on rather they want the rhizome growth or the flower

D

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

That's very interesting, Dee. Could you explain which method is which?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.