R U starting any perennial seeds now (late July)??

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, all~~

Just want to get some ideas of some perennial seeds I can start now so they get a head start on bloom for next year??

Was thinking of digitalis, hollyhocks~~not really a perennial, but, oh, well,....what else??

Any ideas for seed starting in late summer?? (Zone 6a)

Thanks. t.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Lake Charles, LA

I am glad you started this thread, because I need ideas too. I need advice on how to start all of my seeds.
I want to plant Foxglove, Delphinium, Hollyhock, Shasta Daisy, various Poppy, Columbine, Pansy, Viola, Texas Bluebonnet, Red Hot Poker, and I will have to dig through my seeds box to see what else I have and need to start.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

me too.

i just bought some seeds from t&m and plan to sow many of them as soon as they get here. i am finding that summer sowing in texas is pretty good.

already had good luck with hollyhocks.

Upper Saint Clair, PA(Zone 6a)

I, too, am happy you started this. I started poppy seeds a few weeks ago and they have been super slow to start, but are getting going now. I start foxglove seeds each year so I have blooms every year. I just ordered New Millenium Delphinium seed and am starting them this weekend for planting next spring. I am going to overwinter them indoors.

Anyone else doing something like this?

Linda

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i never thought of poppies. tomorrow. i will sow some tomorrow. i thought they needed a period of cold to germinate.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

I recently started seeds of Gaillardia, Echinacea 'Magnus', and Eupatorium rugosum indoors for planting out when they're big enough. We're having a dry summer, aside from occasional blasting thunderstorms, so outdoor sowing seemed unlikely to succeed right now. I've done this before with these and other perennials, and they've been a great success the following year.
Ruth

Upper Saint Clair, PA(Zone 6a)

Mamajack, I started the poppies indoors for planting this fall. This could be a flop! I saved seeds to sew in the spring if this doesn't work. I had just moved all of the little plants outside from my grow lights and decided to try something instead of packing them away. And... I am not a zone 8. Wow, I cannot image gardening in a zone 8. My backyard tends toward a zone 4 in the winter. :(

Cheers,
Linda

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

if you are going to have zone envy then have it for zone 9 and not 8. lol.

the hollyhocks i am sowing are germinating in just days in this heat. tomtom sent me some white double hollys. i sowed them in a pot of dirt that i have sitting in a pan of water. 2 days later i have seedlings.

i need to get out there today and sow some different things just to see what happens. lazlo sent me some moy grande hibiscus. soaked 'em overnight a few days ago and sowed them. those are not up yet.

Calgary, Canada

This week is lupins and maybe some biennials like Sweet William.

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Whenever I collect seeds from my plants, I always scatter some around the plant, and often get some germination, at least by spring if they need stratification.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i have robinson's red mum to germinate in pots this week.

also hib. moy grande.

Does anyone know when the seeds sales start??

Or maybe they've already started....?

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

t & m is having one now that's a pretty good sale. i am going to be buying also from a pnw group of gardeners that save their seeds.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Are you direct sowing these or starting them in nursery pots and then transplanting them?

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i am killing 2 birds with one stone. when i get new plants i always pot them until fall when i plant in the ground. since i have to water them in the pots i just sow my seeds in the pots with these new plants. sometimes i sit the pots in a pan of water just to keep them hydrated. this is a no fuss method for sure.

I am starting mine in flats.

Can't really direct sow here because the birds will make a feast of them.

Thanks. Will check out T&M sale.

I noticed Select Seeds has a sale on many summer annuals like zinnias and cosmos.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.