Need suggestions for new JM

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I just cut down a 15 foot yaupon in the front of my house. (Yaupons produce millions of red berries that the birds LOVE, then poop out red splats. I've had cushions ruined, replaced them, and almost had a second disastrous hit when I brought the cushions in just in time this year. FLOCKS of birds hit several times a year and the mess takes me 4-6 hours to clean up!

So....down it went this morning. A neighbor, who is a bonsai expert, suggested a JM. I have 6 of them in huge pots, but none is really a fast grower (I've had them for about 4 years and they are still small...maybe bc they are in pots?? haha)

SUGGESTIONS as to types that would provide pretty color and grow fast!! I'm 59 and don't want to die before I'm really able to enjoy the tree!! ;=) This tree would get morning sun and be partly under a huge red oak....would get NO direct afternoon sun but some direct sun at high noon.

Our temps can be in the 100's in August!! If you think this would not work, send me other suggestions? Live oaks are outlawed in my neighborhood due to a horrible outbreak of oak wilt a few years ago.

THIS PIC IS OF THE TREE THAT WAS THERE BEFORE...

Thumbnail by Connie_G
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

And here is the empty spot...

Thumbnail by Connie_G
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Do you have any color or leaf shape preferences?

I have a couple Glowing Ember JMs that have tolerated the heat here in Sacramento exceptionally well. I have one in a pot that has been a moderate grower but the other one I planted has grown several feet since I planted it last spring.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i agree glowing embers is a nice one - have one in ground purchased from davidsans last year that gets full sun and has no leaf damage at all - others here do this year.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I'll check out the Glowing Embers one...thanks!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.