Spider story

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Yesterday I found a spider with 6 legs! Now we know spiders all have 8 legs, so for a while I tried to find the name of an insect that looked like this spider - no luck. Today I went to the MGV Office to work, and got out all the books that had anything on spiders. I found it! It IS a spider. The right body shape, leg shape, body pattern and all. It's a crab spider ( it walked sideways). I was so excited to write about this for our YEP! Kids blog. You know, get them to think about a spider with 6 legs and WHY that could happen. (We discovered while watching closely that this one was using its antennae to help it clumsily get around, and so we decided it had lost a pair of legs.)
But then while I was reading the description, I changed my mind about writing about it for kids.
"It does not make webs. But the males use their silk to tie the females down when they are mating." Oops. Don't think I want to explain that to the kiddos.

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

Sure you do! Let me know when, I got to see this...

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

LOL...........That's funny!! I stumbled around explaining to my granddaughter why our hens can't produce fertilized eggs. We had to borrow some fertilized ones from the neighbors who have roosters. Thankfully, she didn't ask for in depth explanation.

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

Oooooooh, kinky spider sex. And they thought we gardeners were booring.

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

:-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.