Happy Birthday DonnieBrook!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

wishing lots of butterflies and hummingbirds for your special day Louise!!!

Thumbnail by onewish1
Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday! Hope your day is absolutely wonderful! Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb
Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Have a wonderful birthday with Hank and "da girls" ;)

Thumbnail by venu209
Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday Louise!!!

Thumbnail by phoebesviolets
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Happy Birthday Louise!! I hope you have the best day ever, with lots of sunshine, blooms and abundance of puppy kisses! ^_^

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday! (Imagine a beautiful flower here - I'm at work and flowerless at the moment.)

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday Louise! I do hope that it is all you could ever dream of being. Enjoy your special day.

Thumbnail by ngam
Thomaston, CT

The very best day to you, Louise! I'm sure Hank & the girls have something nice planned, and maybe you can spend the day admiring your garden!

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday to one of the great ladies of the Forum! Hope Hank treats you to something nice. Enjoy!

Thumbnail by victorgardener
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

A very happy b-day to a awesome lady!

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Awwwwwwww, thanks so much, you guys!! You are all just the BEST!!! You were actually ALL in my thoughts today as I was having such a great day with Hank and "da girls" -lol, other Weeze! - at the Davis Brook Daylily Farm in Hancock, NH. My mouth was just dropping open as I saw one gorgeous DL after another, and I thought how much fun an RU would be at this place some July. The people who run it are so nice and so organized in a "visitor friendly" way. Hank planned out the day and treated me like a queen! We started with a great latte at a really good coffee place in Keene; then on to an area we've wanted to explore on the way to Hancock to the DL farm. We'd tried to find it a couple years ago and never did, so he thought this was a great time to do it. The first one that absolutely jumped out at me from among the entire collection (because of its height and its incredibly bright honey gold color) was "Buttered Popcorn" here in this shot. It was one of the presents from Hank......the photo just can't do it justice. It is very tall and brighter than you can imagine.

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

The next one that jumped out at Hank (I asked him to pick out one he really liked) was "Bess Ross", a bright red spider daylily. She's a beauty too...

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

The next present I picked out was "Hush Little Baby" that I had already seen on JoAnn's post. It was so full and pretty and it just had to come home with us......

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Then, I bought a Brunnera "Jack Frost" and a "Little Red Riding Hood" phlox for myself and we moved along for a back woods drive around Mount Monadnock to a wonderful lunch of a really good Caesar salad and a special treat of the best fried clams in the area. I don't usually eat fried foods, but these are worth the treat once a year. We split the salad and a small order of the yummy fried devils! I even had a baby-sized cup of chocolate ice cream in lieu of a birthday cake. lol. So, within 15 minutes of our return home, Hush Little Baby and Jack Frost were already in the ground, right where Hank set them down.

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Hank took these shots of the daylily farm while I was going around trying to pick out presents....:) You can see the look on my face of total confusion, shock and awe!

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

The website for the farm is www.davisbrookfarm.com in case anyone wants to see their full catalog. What was nice for us was that they had a shaded parking section for pets, and they had water tents set up with bottled water for you, along with umbrellas if you are sun sensitive. They've really thought of the comfort and enjoyment of their visitors. Here are some more shots:

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

more views

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

They give you a nice catalog with lots of general DL info and a complete listing of different catagories of DLs and a price list with other info. The DLs are arranged alphabetically to match how they are set out in the pricing guide, so you can just walk down the rows as they are printed in the catalog. The prices are not inexpensive, but the plants are large and healthy. Most ranged from around $14.95 - $29.95, with a few less and some more than that. They have a shade garden of perennials and other plants as well, but mostly it is a daylily farm. Here are a few I might get next time....

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

one more, of many!

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Happy Birthday, Louise. Glad you had a good day.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

If anyone wants to join me next July for a mini-RU at the DL farm and at the great lunch place afterwards, it might be a lot of fun. The lunch place is a famous old dairy farm and they have quite a thriving business with great burgers, seafood and homemade ice cream. It is also a very user friendly place for a gathering. There is a large inside seating area and a large outside area of picnic tables in sun and a large shaded area of picnic tables. There's also a neat gift shop and restrooms, etc. The lunch place is Kimball Farms in Jaffrey, NH, and it is a straight, easy shot from the DL farm (about a 20 minute ride). There is Mount Monadnock State Park for hiking there, and lots of nice B & Bs with pretty gardens in the area as well. The Inn at East Hill Farm is a favorite place for families with kids. It has lots to offer, but it takes getting reservations in advance. I think it has kids activities, swimming, boating etc.. The area in general is a nice destination place with antiquing and nice mountain beauty with pretty lakes, etc.. If there is enough interest, I will contact the people at the DL farm and see if they are open to having us come as a group. I feel sure they would be. Just a thought, because I know I'll go back there next July. This time in July is peak there, so I'd suggest doing it around this weekend time slot if anyone's game.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Lucy!! It was indeed a very nice day! How's the weather out there in Ohio today??

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

sounds like you had a nice day!!!.... and bought some nice plants!!!... glad to hear it!!

Thomaston, CT

Wow....what a great day, Louise! Love all your DL picks, & the phlox is gorgeous. Count me in for a trip up there for next year.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

What a great day you had.....one i'd love!!! LOL You picked some beauties....I wouldn't of been so good, been at least 20 new ones in the car before poor Brian could blink! LOL

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Yes, it was such a nice day, Allison!

Marilyn - that will be fun to plan during the winter or spring. I know you would enjoy it!

LOL, Celeste! - It was tempting, but I was pretty overwhelmed! I would have loved to have many of them, but the ones I got were great presents! You'd love it there! Maybe next year......Brian can sit in the shade with Hank! LOL

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday Louise!!

We could have had cake on Sunday!!

Here is a picture of one of the foundations Hank showed us.

Thumbnail by wha
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Happy, happy, Louise!

Glad you had a great day!

Thumbnail by pollyk
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Just wanted to wish you a very Happy Birthday. Hope your day is GREAT! Ric & Holly

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Louise - All I can say is OMG - what a wonderful birthday and I'm soooooooo jealous!!!! Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb
Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Happy Birthday! I went to Davis Brook Farm last summer! I loved it! Did you try the fried Daylily buds?

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Louise, sounds like you had a wonderful day!!

Thomaston, CT

Sounds like a plan, Louise.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Have a great birthday Louise.
Boquets to you.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Louise, missed it. Sorry, but I am sure you had lots of wags and hugs for you Birthday. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Bill, Polly, Ric, Holly, Meredith, Ronnie, JoAnn & Patti! I appreciate your nice wishes, and obviously, your wishes led to my enjoyment! LOL

Bill - no cake :) That looks like the Taylor Place foundation? So cool, isn't it?
Eleanor - maybe you can come do it with me next year?!
Meredith - no, I didn't see any fried DL buds! where were they? We'll have to discuss this at Bill's!

Patii - I sure do hope you can come to Bill's RU too! It's way past time we had a face to face!!! LOL

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

no b-day spankings either!!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

bummer!!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

it would have been:)

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

We can definitely discuss the fried DLs at Bills! I went on their special weekend, and I am having a faint recollection of her telling me they make sure to pass them out those days.... I took a bunch of photos when I was there and I have them in my web album. http://picasaweb.google.com/FlutterbugGarden/DavisBrookFarmDaylilies?feat=directlink check it out so we can compare notes lol :) I'm wondering if they had lots of the same as last year potted up, or if they had some newies. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.