an afternoon surprise!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

my partner and i were sitting outside this afternoon and suddenly he said, "look, a baby turtle!" sure enough, this tiny little guy was trying to cross the driveway. it's blistering hot outside and i thought most babies hatch at night but i was pretty certain this was a newborn. i scooped him up and hustled him down to the lake where he instantly crawled into the water and disappeared. i thought it was so odd seeing him like that.

a few minutes later, john said, "look, more turtles!" omg, there were five or six trying to skittle across the drive. we have a tar and chip driveway and the chips are pieces of granite so it's a little rough. i grabbed the bucket again and put them all in and then started walking around the lawn. i don't know how i even saw it but i spotted a hole about the size of a half dollar and there were two turtles trying to get out at the same time! we marked the hole and over the course of an hour we were able to turn eleven babies loose at the water's edge.

what is really weird is that area is destined to be trenched in the morning to put in a new water line. i guess they figured they'd better beat feet! lol i'm going to carefully shovel up that area tomorrow just in case there are any more hatchlings that haven't quite gotten out of the eggs yet.

if john hadn't said, "get the camera", i wouldn't even have any pictures. here is the last one coming out, about the size of a quarter.

Thumbnail by trackinsand
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

here he is again

Thumbnail by trackinsand
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

hooray! freedom and hello world (covered in sand)

Thumbnail by trackinsand
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

waiting to go to the lake. this is a quart bucket, so you can get an idea of how small they were.

Thumbnail by trackinsand
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

this is the hole in the grass with a tiny head sticking out. they would have had a tough time getting around the house and into the lake without burning up in the heat.
you sure never know what is right under your feet. i walk that area a couple times a day. john just mowed a couple of days ago too.

Thumbnail by trackinsand
Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Good save, they were lucky you were there.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

oh melva! how funny! i was just getting ready to d-mail you this thread link. i know how you love turtles......

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

That is ironic...

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

How cute, you were in the right place at the right time to save the little darlings.
Christine

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i didn't go back the next day and dig the area up to look for more. the water guy was really careful and worked around it. three days later one tiny straggler emerged. i think that is probably rare but he was saved and relocated to the lake.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.