Is this gonna kill my tomatoes?

Galesburg, MI(Zone 6a)

I noticed this on the lower leaves a few weeks ago and pruned it all off. But it keeps showing up and I feel like I am pruning in vain. I fear it is some sort of blight. Will it harm the fruit or just the leaves? Is there anything I can do or is it a lost cause? So sad because this is my first year gardening and the tomatoes are just starting to ripen.

Thumbnail by kellydz
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

don't prune. just ignore it. i've never grown a tomato that didn't have awful looking leaves sooner or later. it won't hurt the fruit one bit. one bit of advice, if you smoke, wash your hands before you handle a tomato plant. you can transfer a tobacco virus to the plant.

Galesburg, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know that I am not alone with the yucky tomato leave. I don't smoke but my husband does so I will have to tell him.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Mine looked like that and they are fruiting up beautifully.

Donna

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Last spring (April 2009) we had so much rain that the tomato fungus (blight) hit the entire northeast. The blighted tomatoes started getting getting spots like that, but then the entire leaf turned yellow. If they're not getting any worse, I wouldn't worry. Our blighted tomatoes got black spots that turned rotten on the vine while ripening. Most people lost all their tomatoes last year. We were lucky enough not to because we had planted different varieties in different locations.

This year they are fine, but every time we see yellow with black spots, we take out the scissors and hope for the best.

Galesburg, MI(Zone 6a)

So they definitely got worse. I stopped pruning for a while but eventually it flared back up really bad. Eventually the leaves yellow and fall off. And the stems are starting to get spots now. The tomatoes are still fruiting fine but they are cracking because of missing shading from the fallen leaves and what I pruned out earlier. Oh well. Next year I am gonna rotate to a different area and try again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.