Neighbor's Hackberry looks sick

Galesburg, MI(Zone 6a)

I believe this is a hackberry. All the leaves look like this before they quickly yellow and drop. What is it and do I need to be concerned with it spreading to my plants as a large portion of her tree hangs over my yard? Thanks!

Thumbnail by kellydz
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

That's a Mulberry (probably Morus alba or one of its clones).

That's some kind of leaf spot, and shouldn't be a concern unless your garden is composed of mulberries.

I'd offer to your neighbor to get a different tree...

Galesburg, MI(Zone 6a)

I am so not trusting the Arbor Day online tree ID guide. This is the second one that was wrong. Oh well. No mulberries in my yard so that is good. Neighbor said I can trim all the branches that hang over our yard so we will do that in a few weeks. Thanks!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

And don't feel bad about vigorous to excessive pruning - this is widely considered to be a pest-to-invasive species.

Galesburg, MI(Zone 6a)

I know my husband thinks it is a pest when the mulberries get all over the cement around our pool. The guy who did our pool inspection when we moved in said he would do everything he could to kill the tree because it would cause such and issue for the pool. Oh well. We will prune the heck out of it. Neighbors said they were OK with it.

Stanchfield, MN

I was doing some research into mulberries (recipes and such; there are a couple mulberry trees where I live), and saw this discussion... Don't try to get rid of the mulberry trees, the fruit is delicious and nutritious! Jams, jellies, pies, cobblers, eaten fresh-picked -- and made into wine. Yum!

Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

Not all the mulberries are desirable though. The Morus alba is considered invasive most places.

http://www.invasive.org/browse/subinfo.cfm?sub=6050

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.