No blooms - Spanish Flag, Firecracker Vine, Exotic Love Vine

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I got a Spanish Flag vine this year (in love with the picture) and although it's growing rather well, it isn't blooming. I have tried to put some Schultz "bloom boost" fertilizer on it and it's not doing anything. I've attached a picture. Does anyone have any ideas regarding why it's not blooming or what I can do to help it along? Thanks!

Susie

Thumbnail by SusieR
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Here's another picture of the vine...

Thumbnail by SusieR
Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Hi Susie,

I grew one once and it seemed to take forever to bloom. Let me see if I can locate my picture and see when it was in bloom...Hang on...

OK here's my picture. This is what it looked like on Oct 23. I waited and waited and waited for it to bloom. It finally started blooming in the fall, and when it did, it just kinda burst into color suddenly it seemed. So it was Sept or Oct before the blooms even started if I remember correctly. Knowing me, I probably planted the seeds late too, so yours might be blooming in Aug or Sept. So I guess that's it's bloom time.

With some vines, fertilizing it only makes it produce more foliage. I know with Morning Glories, you're not supposed to fertilize them; you just give them time to produce the blooms. You might not know this, but Exotic Love Vine (Ipomoea lobata) is in the morning glory family. I think you have to just sit back and wait...rather impatiently, like I did. LOL

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I have some Mexican flame vine in pots and in the ground - no blooms this year nor last, although it has taken over one bed - I haven't a clue why!

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Susie,
my spanish flag also did not bloom until late oct or so. Got tired of babying it for the whole season just to see a few blooms and therefore did not bother to do it again.
Hi Kayjones,
my mexican flame vine also did not bloom much this year.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I think that's one of the things I like about it. It bloomed when most everything else was done for the season. So it was a welcome bright spot.

I wonder if it would bloom a little earlier if we started them earlier indoors? I usually just direct-sow whatever I'm growing so I rely on Mother Nature's help.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I started mine from seeds indoors in Feb. It did not help it to bloom any earlier which is why I was disappointed.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Kay,
Mexican Flame vine likes alot of sun. I have it in two places and the one that get's more sun blooms sooner than the one that get's less.
Spanish Flag, couple doses of Bloom Buster 1/2 strength, week to 10 day's apart may help. Most of the MG people of the MG forum seem to use the Bloom Buster, Sparingly tho...Also likes alot of sun.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Mine ARE in full sun.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I've heard that they like the sun but will they take the heat reflected off a block wall? I have a huge yard with block wall all the way around that I'd like to cover up with different vines.

Pam

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Pam,
they don't even like our full AZ sun. I don't think they can handle full reflected heat.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

gem, you might try a Rangoon Creeper, I'm looking for one now myself, and most reports are that the hotter the better with them.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks for all the info!

I actually think I've moved to Texas without knowing it! It's been over 100F at 5pm every day and she's been in full sun the whole time! I'm watering it and will quit putting fertilizer on it. I got one (yes only one- the plant is a tease!) bloom earlier and then no more. Maybe it will come back and bloom later. Then again, maybe it will die a virginal death never to be planted here again! HA! We all know I'll try it again- just not in a pot this next time!

I'll let you know if she starts blooming!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.