Mucuna albertisii

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

After seed treatment for a week in a thermos and in a pot for 2 weeks..it finally sprouted..

Thumbnail by Moodene
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Congrats!

It is still growing this long shoot..I see something maybe like a pair of leaves fixing to emerge from the shoot..

Gainesville, FL

Where did you get seeds for it? I propagate mine by stem cuttings. It roots a whole lot easier than Strongylodon. I hope you really got the red jade...last season a lot of folks bought seeds for it and what they actually got was Mucuna pruriens. Was your seed a large round one of smaller seeds that looked like cranberry beans?

Gina, mine was given to me and it was also called the 'hamburger bean', if I remember correctly - it was a bit smaller than a quarter and looked like a hamburger bun ONLY very dark brown - does that make sense? LOL

Gainesville, FL

Yeah I have grown the hamburger bean before. I remember that it looked like most of the mucunas. I never got mine to flower. You can pick the seeds up sometimes on So Fl beaches. They stay viable a long, long time. I don;t think Mucuna albertsii (which is a synonym for Mucuna bennetii, the Red Jade Vine) is the same thing. Supposedly the hamburger bean mucuna is yellow, but it could be pretty fun to see what you get. The Strongylodon seeds look different...they are not always round but can be odd shaped.

I got Mucuna pruriens seeds from someone and grew the vine last season. It flowered after only a very very short time and set seed, which I have planted again and it has grown another large vine. The seeds are small, about the size of a pinto or cranberry bean.

Mine looks most like the Mucuna sloanei seed, if memory serves me. It's in the yard, in a pot, in full shade - hasn't grown much, so I will probably not get it to bloom. I guess we'll see!

Well it shot out a long long growing tip and still growing..I got 2 pairs of tiny leaf sprouts from the stem. I will post a pic of my seeds that I had..

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/437186/?hl=moodene

Here is a pic of the ones I had..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.