Small drawstring organza bags

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

I know this forum is for TRADING...but I had a seed storage question..

Can these small organza bags be used for storing seeds or should I just stick with small zip bags??

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

The organza bags are not for storing. The seeds won't stay dry and can easily be eaten by mice or insects.
Better to use the zip bags.

Jonna

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Ok, the reasoning I wanted to use the organza is I'm also planning on keeping the seed bags in a carry box ((similar to a fishing tackle box))..so mice have no chance at them no bugs at all. In the end, they WOULD be sealed, but stored in organza until it's sharing time. I just need a better storing system and with long nails, it's hard to get them doggone lil baggies open sometimes ~LOL~

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

Well, it might work. I never tried it that way, but I collect too much seeds to try to store them that way.
Still have some doubts. You must really dry the seeds very well, because if one of them is not dry enough or has (invisible) fungus or a disease, it will damage all the other seeds.
But why do you want to store them in organza bags? Is that because you only collected seeds with the organza bags?
I suppose you'll have still long nails if it's time to share them.

Because I also sell my seeds I have to be very carefull to store them well. After collecting (by hand or in organza bags) I let them dry at least a week on a sunny place in paper bags. After that I put them in small plastic photo containers (main storage) and in zip bags (small stock for selling and trading). I only once had fungus, that was in the Curcubita seeds. I dried them for 2 weeks, but that was not enough, I had to throw them all away.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

here's what happened when my son & I collected Four O'clock seeds and one of us zipped it up while they were still damp/wet ((we collect them every morning and every evening))

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

and this is what that pile looks like today AFTER I have thinned them out twice!!!!!!

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I don't know the answer to your question but I have seen professional cactus nurseries leaving those bags on seed pods and collect the tiny seeds before they fly off. I am guessing that they store the seeds in those bags as well :)

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I use organza bags to collect dead heads, pods and larger seeds. They dry out fine. I use white lunch sacks with majic marker for other seeds. I let them dry out in those, then I store them in sealed boxes and all the boxes then go into a large cloth drawstring bag. I had a mouse family munch on the seeds I had drying out in open box lids I had left out in the garage.
They ate everything. including four o clock and morning glory seeds. I did catch all 11 of them, but moved all the boxes and bags to the basement , into plastic tubs with lids. I get them out and put in the small zip baggies when I send out.
I can't open those things either. I have a problem with getting seeds from people that staples those little bags shut. then you have to tear them to get into them. Best storage for drying so far has been those long vacuum sweeper bags. I have a hundred of them and the sweeper is long gone. They hold long stalks really well. I mark on the outside, keep in a cardboard box and when ready to get something out it is easy to find.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Ok...will find a differant storage container...thanks to everyone, and yes, using the organza bags to catch the seeds is a perfect idea.

The organza bags are very expensive around here..from $1.25 & more for one.

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

I think this is who I've gotten organza bags on ebay from. Seems like I paid an average of $3 per 40 3x4 bags with free shipping at the time. I've also bought the 4x6 and some wine bottle size, which are good for collecting long stalks of seeds.

http://cgi.ebay.com/30-3x4-MOSS-GREEN-Organza-Pouch-Gift-Bags-Wedding-Favor-/130412302102?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5d2dcf16

or you can just search "organza bags" on ebay.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2010 10:05 AM

Really? I get mine at the walmart in the wedding section and the dollar store.. also at thrift shops.. All sizes. good quantity too.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

LOVE the Dollar Store!!!

What are the sizes and prices there?

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

everything is a dollar at the dollar store!

How many bags of what size do you get for a dollar?

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

I don't get the organza bags for seeds, I Just put the seeds on a paper plate or folded lightly newspaper to let them dry and then use the mini ziplocks. I guess if you are trying to catch them as they fall of the plant you would tie the bag around the seed head while it is still on the plant?

Yes, kobwebz. I only use the organza bags for collecting the seeds while still on the plant.

same here. I also use newspaper, paper plates, coffee filters and vacuum bags that have found at thrift store. You get about 10 bags for a dollar at dollar store. object is to get the seed heads dried out so the seeds will fall out. Air has to circulate or seeds will rot. I got five big bowls at dollar store with matching napkins.. all colours of the flowers I dead head and seed save. I go out and cut into the bowl, then move to the big matching napkins, fold them up, tie them with yarn, tag them and hang them.
DIRTYGIRL, I would rather use little notecard envelopes than plastic zip locks, and I find those in quantity at thrift shops too.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I use #1 coin envelopes .. they work perfectly and you can also use the avery 2 x 4 labels on them as well.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I buy the organza bags on Ebay........Our dollar store carried them but it was actually cheaper to buy them on ebay even with shipping.
I store seeds in small paper lunch bags or the envelops like Xeramtheum uses, but I send them out in the zip lock baggies for the most part.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=3x4+White+Organza+Wedding+Favor+Gift+Bags&_sacat=0&_odkw=30pcs+3x4+White+Organza+Wedding+Favor+Gift+Bags&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I use them to collect the larger seeds/seed pods so they can fully ripen naturally without scattering. Here are some currently on my rangoon creeper. I take them out of the bags once I have collected the ripe ones.

Thumbnail by budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's a better shot.

Thumbnail by budgielover
(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

Xeramtheum what program do you use to print your labels? They are really lovely! I have Photoshop...and Printshop

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I use Avery design pro .. wonderful program with templates for all their lables.

http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Templates-&-Software/Software/Avery-DesignPro-for-PC.htm

Thanks! I downloaded it and will try it. Will it let you only print one or two labels at a time instead of a whole sheets worth?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Yep .. you'll love it

thanks again Xeramtheum, I'm off to buy # 1 coin envelopes too, assuming you got those at wallyworld? Love your idea!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

got the labels and coin env at staples.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.