Person or pest?

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

I have a small suburban garden which contained two small eggplant fruits (2 inches) and a number of green tomatoes. One morning an eggplant and a tomato had simply disappeared, and then two mornings later the remaining eggplant. We have a large garden in Maine and have experienced deer, woodchucks, slugs and all manner of bugs. I don't remember small fruits completely disappearing before. What might this be? People doesn't sound reasonable, since the fruits were so small.

TIA
LAS

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Dogs?

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Don't discount the deer if they are hungry. Or squirrels or raccoons. Last year the deer started munching on green tomatoes and leaves. All the ones that disappeared were at deer head height, not low. A raccoon would eat half of my near-ripe melons, leave the other part and come back the next night a finish it off.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

What melons do you grow in AL, Laceys Spring? I have always been tempted to grow some after overhearing a discussion at work from someone who grew them from seed because they were sweeter, better, etc. He has since passed away and I cannot remember what he used to grow! Which varieties do you grow in AL?

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I have grown cantaloupe almost every year except this year. My grandfather always grew the very best watermelon. I have not tried watermelon, but it must do well in our part of the country because they are at every little roadside stand this time of year. The cantaloupes are very good as home grown although sometimes the first 1 or 2 are not as sweet as the later ones. Haven't figured that out yet. I have grown Hale's Best with good success. Last year's crop was to be a small melon, but I didn't get any due to the racoons finding them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.