Squash borers

Barnesville, GA

I'm at my wit's end trying to cope with squash borers. Surely, anyone who has planted squash in their veggie garden has had beautiful, lush plants one day only to have then limp and on the ground the next morning. The only "expert" advice I've found on how to deal with squash borers, who lay their eggs at the base of the stem, is to look for sawdust by the stem and slit the stem to remove the offending worm before he eats enough to kill the plant. GIVE ME A BREAK! Far easier to buy squash at the grocery store! Has anyone ever found a practical and effective prevention of squash borers?
I also posted this in the vegetables forum.

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Some people say to wrap strips of tin foil around the lower part of the vine before the borers get to them.
I understand your frustration because we have squash bugs by the gazillions in this part of Texas. The only thing I found that works to get rid of them is keep the eggs picked off the leaves and squish the ones that hatch (and the adults). This is a very time consuming ordeal once the vines get long enough to produce. Someone needs to invent a reasonably priced, portable. vacuum cleaner for the garden so we can just vacuum the monsters up and be rid of them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.