Daffodils and spring flowers

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

its that time of the year again,.'Jack Frost' is packing his bags and heading off out of our gardens.Show your daffodils,ixias,ranunculas ,tulips and any other spring bulb,.look at the face of my grand-daughter 'Molly',running her hands through 'hoop petticoat'daffodils,for the first time at Glenbrook Bulb Farm.,the look on her face says it all.

Thumbnail by g_whizz
Clifton Springs, Australia

Nice idea Anthony..

When Molly comes around you can show her this Spring thread.
I only have Jonquils at the moment..
A yellow...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

and a white...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

inspiring story,i have to tell! I answered an ad in the local newspaper today.[no!not the miscellanious or adult entertainment column] gardening column believe it or not.WANTED,daffodil,tulip,lily and other spring bulbs...i rang and spoke with what sounded a keen young man,organised a time to come around and then i set to work choosing my ''see you later ''spring bulb pots,.sprouting daffs,ixias,mini iris,bearded iris,ginger lily,green goddess,flax,belladonna,red nerines,freesias and even a sly hippe bulb that i didnt spot until it was too late!he turned up,we agreed on a price,loaded up his van,he picked my brain and i shared a little bit of knowledge.he drove off as happy as a pig on a ship,my wallet is fatter and he says he is going to consult Daves Garden for further learning.,.,not a bad day!..i think the fact that he was quite young and had a 'dream' and an interest in plants and sincerely was grateful for what i had thrown together is what i found amazing.'you dont see that inspiration in youngsters nowdays'!

This message was edited Jul 18, 2010 8:13 AM

''gee,these daffodils break off easily and butter wouldnt melt in my mouth''

Thumbnail by g_whizz
barmera, Australia

That was a great story Anthony. Let's hope he gets all the help he needs to inspire him. Colleen

Christchurch, New Zealand

well it's still pretty icy here - I think we have a few frosts to come before spring - and it isn't unheard of to get late frosts in October, last year we had a killer frost in November!
My daffs are starting to pop up, the tazetta narcissus will be first to flower & the rest a few weeks after.

Here is your Aussie Green and Gold...Anthony..
The snails had a nibble but it's a pretty thing....I will put them into a pot on their own for next year.
They are in a wine barrel at the moment.
They will look lovely when they increase....

Thumbnail by Seachanger

i can see a face in it

So can I...a face with a big nose...lol

bulbicodium ,hoop petticoat,'nylon'-i scored 95 out of 100 last night at the 'lenah valley garden club meeting,with a fine entry of this specimen[i wont post a pic,because diannes hasnt popped and id hate to ruin the surprise]--i also put a 'quick/knockem-up'entry in the floral art .,.,-,- and won---divine intervention,some of the foliage was from 'fays 'garden,.,anything i have entered from her garden in the last 3 months,has won!,..,i do miss her,.,anthony

Congrats on such a great score Anthony...I can't wait for Nylon to flower...I can see the flower bud tucked in between the leaves...
Fay would be very pleased....

big' king alfreds' greeted me in the driveway tonight.,,.,spring has sprung!

rare daffodil this one;'arthur tin steel'.

Thumbnail by g_whizz

Very nice Anthony...is it one of your's?
That would look rather nice in my garden....
Plant it in your own when it's use as advertising is finished.
Molly will love it.

witch hazel

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre,i am excited about the new daffodil you have there.,.it breaks all the 'narcissi' boundries.,.please fill us in with its breeding history.,,.and could you send me a stem for the sept show,.,[accidental pic?-it happens],.,.anthony[im human too]

not sure if the witch hazel & camellia qualify as spring flowers or late winter...
we don't really consider it spring until September.
That is when my daffs are expected to come out.
I do have a few tazetta narcissus flowering but it is too wet & cold to get pics today.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

i'll crawl back in my box-anthony

here we go - one narcissus in flower...
possibly tazetta but I am just guessing as that is what looked most like it when I trawled through plantfiles trying to figure it out.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

and this cheerful little spring bulb - the name I forget every single year...
it makes a pretty display under the roses which are looking very minimilist after a good pruning.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

All that colour,Teresa, spring has to be on it's way...I love the Witch Hazel and that is a very pretty Camellia.
I have a very small plant of Witch Hazel in my garden, can't wait till it gets to a decent size.

Come out of the box Anthony....it was one straight out of the wilderness....that's why it's unidentified...lol.

Dalf- its an ipheon,or some just call them stars.they make a great early display,..,[my fridge is switched on]--daffies close!

massive failure of thermostat in main daff fridge.,,.froze miniature'topolino' and a very good mini bottle broken[didnt even get a pic],.have started setting bottles in a bar fridge.will have to scout the w/end fridge sales-anthony

rimfire

Thumbnail by g_whizz

in my collection of oddities is this 'gem'.the smallest fuscia flower in the world

Thumbnail by g_whizz

heres a reflexed petal div 6,'slip'ry'-

Thumbnail by g_whizz

Anthony, I am beginning to really like all of these little ones.....My Mitimoto from Rod has just flowered.....
Do you think that your Topolino will survive being frozen?

This message was edited Aug 16, 2010 2:55 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

NO-not in the wheelie bin.,.i will picture each daff,as it comes out,but at some stage[2 weeks] i will get snowed in by flowering daffs,.[they are late this year],.but i will make sure i picture all the miniatures that i have.,.and it looks like i have an abundance[so please jot down what you like]..,slip'ry is an intermediate size,i like the look of it.,..,the good thing here with growing bulbs,is everyone is willing to barter,..,so you pick up some top quality material,because the bulbs have multiplied';';i suffer somewhat the same syndrome here,and god only knows what will happen when they divide next year[daffs and lilys]-duzzenmatter!,..thats a brilliant gold hoop petticoat,it will reward you in years to come!,.,has the 'nylon' flowered?-anthony

Merino, Australia

Finally, I have some daffie pics. Mine are always way behind but lots coming out now. Most of mine came from shopping bags of mixed bulbs at markets etc. I love the dainty small ones and the different larger ones. Now I am getting a garden area of pots ready with my hippies etc, I will also have potted daffies.
This little one is about half the size of the large ones
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Love this one with its orange trumpet. Nearly the same size as the large yellows.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

This one has been tasted by something. Very pretty when in one piece. I don't have many of this one yet.
The flat trumpet is different .

Thumbnail by 77sunset

They are lovely Jean, I used to have a few split corona, but over time being in the garden, they disappeared...All the ones that are a little different now, stay in pots so I can find them.

Nylon hasn't flowered yet Anthony, but it is in bud....I noticed that it is one of the parents of Mitimoto and quite a few others too...It must be a good one.
I still have Spoirot, Smarple and Fyno to flower yet.....Do you reckon that Spoirot and Smarple are Poirot and Miss Marple...Someone has a sense of humour....
This little one is Tete a tete.....

Thumbnail by Seachanger

nylon is a very strong[in colour and growing strength ] daff.a thicker stem and multiplies well[so does minimoto].,.he has ''so many variations'' in the petticoats;';'it is raining so heavily here, ive only ventured 'out back' to get wood,'the daffs can wait',..its 'soooooo' cold too

Merino, Australia

Found this little pretty this morning. Love the apricot trumpet.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Have lots of these around . Not sure of the name, but gorgeous.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

It looks like Erlicheer, Jean....lovely perfume too.
Daffodil is lovely too.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

mine have stalled ,with the cold.,.although i did spot some minis coming out on the balcony,.,this time last year,i was rolling in them!!!!

Merino, Australia

Anthony, I am so pleased at the way all mine are standing up to the wind and rain. Except for one patch of taller daffs, they are all smiling.

i have some beauties budding up,sure to be ready by the weekend!we cant have those angels trumpets taking no1 spot on the forums all the time

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.