Any suggestions on getting a varigated hydrangea to bloom?

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I've had this hydrangea for 5 years. The first year it had blooms on it when I bought it. Then nothing for years 2 and 3. Last year it had one bloom on it and this year, again no blooms. It is by Endless Summer, Lady in Red Lace Cap and PG Grandiflora and they're all blooming....is there a secret?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I assume you're not pruning it any differently than Lady in Red? It blooms on old wood so if you're pruning at the wrong time you'll cut off the following year's blooms, but you'd have the same problem with LIR. Hardiness is the other potential issue--in your area the buds can be prone to freeze off over the winter, resulting in poor/no blooms at least in some years if you don't protect them over the winter. LIR would have the same problem, but if your winters are borderline, maybe your variegated plant's buds are just slightly less hardy and get zapped more easily, or it's just slightly more exposed to the cold than LIR is. If you haven't been protecting it over the winter, you might try that this year and see if you have more blooms next year. (ES and your PG both bloom on new wood, so they won't have these issues)

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks...I haven't protected it. The bush is always gorgeous...just wish for some flowers! I'll try a cage and leaves this year. Problem is, in Ohio, lots of time there is a warm up and they break bud...then wham...a hard freeze. :o(

Willis, TX(Zone 9a)

Mine only blooms early to mid spring once. The blooms are not those of mop or lace caps but still pretty but quite "subdued". I use it mainly for the varigated leaves.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

The bush is stunning, no doubt about that. It would just be nice to see it bloom. A nursery man in the Columbus area told me that the variegated needs a bit more sun than say ES. So I thought I might move it this Fall to a location that gets a bit more morning sun. Couldn't hurt?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks for that tip. Mine finally bloomed in 2009 after four years but now I'll feel free to move it to a sunnier spot. Now it's in mainly shade with just some morning sun and it's too close to others I got back in 2005 so it's excellent timing to move it in late fall or early spring before bud break.

Thumbnail by pirl
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Showoff! ;o)

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

Wow! Thats' really pretty!

When I first joined DG I posted a picture of my unblooming variegated lacecap hydrangea. The advise I was given (ecrane included ~ thank you!) was to cover it for the winter, which I did. This year, for the 1st time ever, I have blooms.

Thumbnail by smileymom343
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, covering has been added to my Fall to do list!!

Joycet - after four years of waiting for blossoms we're allowed to brag! LOL

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Amen!

Blackshear, GA

Here is mine when it bloomed, I grew it from a cutting.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

So sweet.

I grew mine from a cutting received in December '05, pictured here, from a PNW super person.

Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.