Waxy Flower

Cudjoe Key, FL(Zone 11)

Can anyone tell me what the name of the plant that this flower comes from? The parent plant is a bush, leggy and grows over 6'. It has been rumored to possibly be from Africa or Austrailia. It is grows fantastically in the full sun of the Florida Keys. Any assistance is appreciated!

Thumbnail by aegisprncs
Keaau, HI

It is Calotropis gigantea, Crownflower.

It is native from India & Sri Lanka to China, Malaysia, and Indonesia.

noonamah, Australia

It's in the same family as Hoya, you can see the resemblance in the flowers. But it's an invasive weed in non-native areas. You might want to check the status where you are.

Cudjoe Key, FL(Zone 11)

Thank you all for your responses, I really appreciate it. I took a cutting from my friends bush and and just shoved it in a pot and neglected it, it was about dead until I started watering it weekly. Now it's doing wonderfully in the full sun in the same pot. The host plant is in the ground and it's very easy for him to keep in check. Thanks again.

Laie, HI

In Hawaii this plant is the host plant for monach butterflies. Around christmas my crown flower becomes covered with munching caterpillars that eat the leaves all up but the plant always recovers and I have been able to watch all the stages of butterfly life. Kids love to see them too. We also string the flowers to make leis as well. aloha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.