Morning Glories 2010 #10

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you Elsa,

I realize you are probably in your winter season?
What time of year are you able to grow your MGs -
or can you grow them year-round?

Emma

Pretoria, South Africa

Emma,

Yes, we are smack in the middle of one of the coldest winters we have experienced here in my part of Pretoria for about 6 years... usually we don't get frost, but this year we had black frost. My shrubs and trees, in fact, all my plants are looking really bad. I almost pruned them back on Monday. Luckily I decided against it because we had some more black frost that night.
Can't wait for warmer temperatures.

As a rule I don't bother with MGs in winter. If you are lucky you might get a few purpurea flowers, but they tend to be very small, and the nils don't even bother.
I normally start my seed towards the end of August, depending on the temperatures. 1 September is Spring Day here in the southern hemisphere, but we have had some snow after that date.

Two years ago I started some seeds earlier, but I can't say that it givesw the plant a head start. They just sat there, and then when it warmed up they took off. I wonder if I gained two weeks. Not worth the trouble of taking them out into the sun, and back indoors again later in the afternoon.

So, I am playing the waiting game. LOL!

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Emma I missed your compliment earlier in this thread. Thank you so much.
Although I miss all those beautiful pink blooms I had last yr.
Emma your split blooms are really special and I adore you're Ao
Murasaki Blizzard, it's a beauty. Love your crosses too.
Karen, that was Emma's Silky Blue, I'm still behind on starting tons of your sds. Interesting though about the possible parent. .I think that
throat on that particular bloom was larger than any of the other Silky Blue blooms. I need to look.
Mittsy,thanks for sharing your blooms. How nice to see the lovely
Crimson Rambler

You are very welcome Jackie . . .

And Thank you Re my crosses. I hope the Splits stay true. They are very interesting.

I will have LOTS of AoMurasaki Blizzard Youjiro seeds this year and will be happy to share some with you.

Elsa . . .

You are having strange weather. I've heard of Black Ice, but not Black Frost. Had to look that one up. I think there are many parts of the world experience out of the ordinary weather the last few years, especially this last year. In my area, we had some unusually cold days and as a result, I lost several plants that are border-line hardy for me. It wasn't so much that it was cold, it was that it 'stayed' cold for much longer than normal for this climate. THEN, in late June our temps soared to the 90's, and finally topping 100F. Normally, our temps do not get that hot until August, so we have already had the lovely heat experience earlier this year. Recently, we have had some afternoon rains as a result of the Hurricane, as well as mostly cloudy days. BUT - the temps are climbing again. The heat index yesterday and today was close to 110F.

Thanks for sharing about your weather. It is so hard to believe you even get a frost in where you live.

Emma

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace
North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

wow, emmagrace. All your MG's are incredible. I'm so envious.

The speckle pattern and intensity of color of Kanoko seems similar to what patterns we see displayed in Fujishibori. I personally like the biological variations of how the genes are expressed. It adds excitement to growing these vines.

Joseph

Thank you LiliMerci . . .

I have a LOT more to come that hasn't bloomed yet. I have over 600 vines growing this year - so, I have my work cut out for me the rest of the year.

Joseph,
Yes, I agree too. I have enjoyed the Kanoko so much this year, and ALWAYS enjoy my Fujishibori vines. They are still one of my favorites.

Here is one of my Fujishibori Blooms in a Dark Form

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Fujishibori Light Form

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Fujishibori from last year with a Purple Section

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

One More

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

goodness what a bunch of gorgeous blooms rom everyone. I am with elsa.. envious!
okay someone tell me this came from them, plz//

Thumbnail by joeswife

a different view... whatever it is I really really like it.

Thumbnail by joeswife

and at first I thought this was a jamie lynn, but it looks like an i. nil on the plant..

Thumbnail by joeswife

a different view

Thumbnail by joeswife

one more mg shot.. this is tagged soh from group swap.. I got 6 different sohs, and I planted one of each.to the left it is.. it sure does not look like any soh I have grown, but it does look like a pink i nil that grew there last year, and I do have some volunteer i. nils up along the north fence I am allowing to grow..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Just want you all to see the wing span on this stictocardia out front.. ( Mixed with miko no mai to the left of it.)

Thumbnail by joeswife

oops one more.. someone had asked about mgs and sunflowers.. these were sent to me in the swap from ronnie
( luvsgrtdanes) and you can see the vines around it..

Thumbnail by joeswife
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Debra - Looks like gardener's heaven at your house! I am amazed at everything you have growing and how healthy they all look! I love your sunflower, too! Your stictocardia is really growing by the foot! LOL! I have seeds planted in my cups for that one, but I didn't knick the seeds like I probably should have. So who knows if or when it will germinate. I don't recognize your MG blooms in your photos. They sure are pretty though!!! Both look like I. nils or something else. But I see heart-shaped leaves in some of your photos, so that would be I. purpureas. Your garden plants really are beautiful. It's been very dry here, so not a lot of dark green anything growing. We're pretty much in drought conditions. :-(

I do have some I. purps growing with the I. nils, the leaves and the way the curl things? at the base of the petals point up incline me to think I. Nils. When It is the weekend I will go out and find some tags. most of the i. nils on the patio are tagged in the bottom of the grow containers, and it is very painful to bend down to find them. It is also too hot to stay out long ...
If I wasn't watering every morning, and spraying every evening, things would not look too good here right now. The rain we were expecting the other night missed us by about ten miles. I go without my usual quick stop at the quick shop on the way to work for special coffee and a snack, in order to save my $$ for the water bill, which I pay. ( Me and Hubby have a deal)
This area here will be covered in I. Purps from last years seeds that dropped, I had a mix from Emma here and a Mix from Karen as well, which gave me a solid white I. purp, rebecca red and rebecca blue, some dark blues, some dark purples and some jamie lynns. There were also some pinks in there, but as soon as I see those, I pull them out once they show their blooms. The i. plantesis is here all over the place as well, and my Kopper King Hibiscus is showing off. This is the sun at 7 thirty this am in that area on the north west corner of the yard.

Thumbnail by joeswife

My south corner barrell last year had hige, lavender moon vine and akatsu no mai along with I. purps and Grandpa Ott in it. This year it has the large white, and alot of other I. nils, chinese bean hiyacynth, rangoon creeper and emmas cosmos. It also has I purps in it. I usually let them grow for awhile until the other vines get going, then I take the poles down and clip the I. Purps I have doubles of elsewhere. Again, that would be the pink I have had for years, I am trying to get them narrowed down to one little area. I prefer the blues and purples on I. purps.

Thumbnail by joeswife
North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Debra, you always have such beautiful and lush plants! Most of my stuff are brown....

Oh wow, beautiful blooms Emma and Debra.

(Zone 7a)

Debra, your jungle in the whiskey barrel reminds me of that phrase "tempest in a teapot". I am so enjoying pics of your garden.

Emma, looks like you've got some nice tempests going on in your Fuji no Shibori petals, too.

Joseph, I agree about the fascination of a range of variation carrying from generation to generation. If not a cultivar, though, what would we call this?

Karen

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I don't know the name of this one, I had a packet of mixed seeds, Black knight and something else.....so it's the"something else " !! but what I don't know.

Thumbnail by mjsponies

Emma - How are you growing 600 vines in a typical yard? I can barely keep up with 20+ different vines at once! You'll have to share an overview/wide view photo of all those hundreds of vines!

MJ - Pretty pink striped bloom!

This message was edited Jul 15, 2010 9:04 AM

Karen - call them a box of chocolates? (apologies to Forrest Gump)

Gautier, MS

Beautiful vines everyone!!

Thumbnail by helenahkh

This is one of my crosses created last year. I am very pleased with how this bloom/vine has turned out this summer! It has the lighter sky blue color and much more white than I was expecting. Usually that much white doesn't show up until the vine is much older. :-)

This message was edited Jul 15, 2010 12:05 PM

Thumbnail by beckygardener

Thank you Karen and Jackie

Debra, your plants are looking so healthy and I can see all of the hard work you have done.
I really like this Pretty MG
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7969327

Becky, I will post some photos of some of my growing areas when I get them better organized. I have vines EVERYWHERE. On Fences/Cages/Trellises and some special stands that Jerry made me.

Becky, very pretty
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7970135

I have one very similar that I also crossed. I’ll need to post that so we can compare, but off to my DDS for now.

This is Black Queen today

Emma

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Dany will like this one

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Debra, Is there a trellis in there among those vines in the barrel ? LOL,,,,

Becky, love your beautiful cross. Is the mutant one of the parents?

Emma wonderful blooms. The dark one is nice but the blue one is
gorgeous.
Off to set up the new thread.

Thanks Jackie,

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Beautiful pictures. Thanks for posting.

Join us here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1115820

MJ
Your photo here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7969990

is a Pink FLAKED IPOMOEA PURPUREA
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/260668/

Most are Pink to Dark Pink to 'Almost Red'.
My darker blooms I call Raspberry-Red

Emma

Emma,
Thank You !
I think I'll be shopping for more MG's !

(Zone 7a)

lol - Joseph - methinks that's not a bad comparison - hard to say which is more mesmerizing

I wonder what we'd all come up with if all of us were to cross whatever nils we have with a chocolate nil and then swap, cross and so on?

Karen wrote:

"I wonder what we'd all come up with if all of us were to cross whatever nils we have with a chocolate nil and then swap, cross and so on?"

My guess would be more Morning Glories.

(Zone 7a)

Becky - yes "more mgs" - but doncha think perhaps something beyond what we already are familiar with, as well? That dusky gene seems to do such interesting things to basic mg colors...adds a little mystery, imho

karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.