LOVE MY Cannas!!

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

nothing like cannas to color up your garden....who needs anything out of the family to make a GREAT tropical paradise??

Thumbnail by tobee43
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

They sure are pretty!!!

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

dirty....the red ones i already have in a separate pot....but we r going to have to roll out a few for you....they get really large and make a nice statement in any garden! so when ever u want and both r schedules allow it...u r welcome to some!

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

A friend of ours kids are here this week...I think they are leaving in the next couple days, so hopefully if you have an open day either Friday or Sat. I'll make the trip.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

sounds good! i just don't want to dig them up unless they have a "home" to go too..;)

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I ordered 2 'Stuttgart' cannas from veseys this spring.. Got them one looked a bit sad but the other looked ok, I have yet to even see it come up.. I had it in the shade, thinking it would burn in full sun, but nothing.. So i moved it to full sun to get it warmer, still nothing.. Now its in a pot on my concrete that gets very warm, and still nothing... I'm so mad cause i really wanted this one..

I agree that cannas really do add a tropical look to any space, I planted 22 different canna this past spring, a mix of roots and seeds... Not sure how many came up as i didn't mark the first few i put in.. We'll see in a few weeks when they flower what ones made it though..

My two favorite i have are the 'Red stripe' and 'Musifolia'.. Both have big leaves and are fairly tall plants, but to me they both look like a banana tree.. Well as close to the real thing as i can get here in canada
jen

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

smurf...they burn everywhere....LOL...i have mine sheltered and they still burn.

i also love the Austrian ....which for some reason this year are sooooo deep and dark...i will take some pix tomorrow of those!

22 different kinds...wow...yes, we were not certain what made it the move...sorry to say we lost all of the white i had from alice...some of the rare ones from all over ...but did manage to save that constitution and that one zulu warrior from brian williams...so that's a good start for r new house!!

Thumbnail by tobee43
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

My Australians were very dark this year as well. They just finished blooming. I finally gave up on stuttgarts, they just burned non-stop, so I went with other variegated varieties instead.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm sure my rhizome is toast, theres nothing really life looking anymore.. I guess i'Il have to try to get another one next year..
Constitution are so pretty.. I planted some from seed, but they never did come up..
I planted 22 different kinds, I dont think they all came up though.. I did trads for all of them but 4, there were ones i had last year.. There is a few more I would like to get for next year, and hopefully with a wider variety of cannas, I'll have some luck..
The ones i'm trying for are...
'Stuttgart'
'Ada'
'Tuerckheimii'
'Journey's End'
'Port Douglas'
'Cleopatra'

jen

Phoenix, AZ

I transplanted yellow cannas from a filtered light area to pots in the sun here in Phoenix. They are doing beautifully in our summer heat, but I've never seen them bloom. When do I get my reward? Is there something I should do to the soil? I've transplanted one pot full to a bed that gets sun at midday (still very green).

No, I have tons of cannas that have not yet bloomed this year. They all seem to be on different cycles. The reds and pinks have, but so far none of my yellows. It hasn't mattered much as to wear I have them, but more by variety. Most of mine are in full Florida sun, all day long.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I have a bunch of cannas and only two stocks have flowered.. One was erebus (pink) and the other Ambassadour (cream).. Which to me was weird cause they were both from seed.. one stock from my, red stripe and tropicanna have a flower on the way.. But my wyoming, king humbert, banana canna all still nothing, nor do the others i planted form seed..
Theres still lots of summer left so I'm hoping to see fowers on them all...
jen

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

oh yes jen....many of mine up north didn't even flower until late aug!! i'm sure you will get plenty of them to flower!

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Ya i think i took them out last year in oct, this year i was planing for a bit sooner just cause it was cold last year to be working outdoors.. But by aug/ sept I'm hoping that i do have most flowered.. My cannas arn't doing as well as they did last year, I think its cause its been a dry hot summer here... Last year it was much cooler and i think the allowed the ground to hold the water better.. I try to water every other day, but i think they could use more water.. I just dont want to pay the bill lol...

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

jen...always in the fall i would wait until the first frost then cut them....use the stalks by my doorway instead of corn stalks during the fall season....what was so extraordinary about that was they would (after being cut and bundled in swine) continue to bloom!!!

i do know if you let them catch the first frost b4 pulling them out, it usually makes for a stronger rhizome.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I did that last year, but i think i waited until there was about 3 frost.. I was working and had to wait a few more days.. Of course the days i was off it was freezing cold, I had a winter jacket on and my hands were so wet it just wasn't a good 3 days.. 18 hours later (3 days of 6 hours) I had them all packed and stored.. This year I will be better prepared..
jen

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

lol...i know it's NOT funny jen...but i have been there done that....now i'm in the warm and i don't even think i have to ever remove the rhizomes!

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Lucky... Its really is alot of work.. Totally worth it though to have a taste of the tropics in my yard..

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

well...jen...i'm not certain yet about whether i have to pull them up or not. i guess i find out..

i would think that it still would be best to cut them back and them regrow.

ohhhhh tobeeeeee......and now you just leave them in the ground yeaaaar round. ;)

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

you sure mary??? i'm scared!! LOL!!

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

no no tobee don't be scared, I believe most cannas are fine in zone 8 some even zone 7 if your lucky... If your in zone 9 you should have nothing to worry about other then separating them every few years..

Honestly...A few of mine don't even lose their leaves unless there's a frost. My sister in zone 5 leaves hers in the ground allllll year because they are heavily heavily heavily mulched. Honest! So here, in lovely zone 9b...they are very safe, planted once, never to be touched again.... YAY!

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I wanted to try to leave them in the ground but I just cant seem to risk them... I planted texas star hibs last year and mulched them but come spring they were all moldy roots.. I would cry if that was my cannas

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

well...i'm still TOO scared...mary it got soooooooo cold this past winter!!..so you know what i will probably do...is just for safety purposes....pull a few rhizomes of each and store them in some peat in the garage....just in case...one cannot be too safe!!

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Ya tobee, i would do the same.. In fact i would probably do it every year cause you just never know what weather is on the way.. Then come spring if they do come up, you'll have some ready to go to other spots in the yard or friends and family..

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

I left mine in the ground and they all came back...with attitudes too!! *LOL* We did get a lil' freeze, but we don't have that many days end to end that it will hurt them.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I have heard that its not the freezing that hurts them its the constant freeze and thaw, freeze and thaw that does the damage..

Phoenix, AZ

I live in Phoenix. I've watched cannas that were transplanted on our school campus multiply and bloom without being pulled up at all for cold weather. Believe it or not, we do get a freeze occasionally. They did seem to do better when they were thinned, however - more blooms and healthier plants.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Ya'll wanna see my $1.00 CANNAS!!

Yep...a buck each!!! so I bought all 19 of them!!! ((wouldn't you?!))

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

unfortunatly, I have no idea of their names....so, hopefully I can get some help ...if not...guess I have 19 NOIDS

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

second red one...

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

really pale yellow

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

pale yellow with pink spots

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

and the pink one

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71

OH my goodness!!! WHat a score! Where did you find such a bargain?? I hope someone posts the names, I have a few of those, but never knew what to call them. Abutilon usually is the expert on canna names.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Lowes ...they love it when I clean off the clearance racks so they can get back to reg prices.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Anyone have extra canna rhozomes they no longer have room for or looking to get rid of? If so I'll be happy to take them off your hands. They will be going to a good home here in Ontario Canada. I just love Cannas, especially the giant red types

Cheers

Mick

May, TX

A neighbor gave me some cannas and they have multiplied like crazy but....they don't get very big - maybe 3 feet at most and they looked ragged all the time - brown leaves or at least on the tips...but we're in central Texas and our soil isn't great and it is HOT so maybe they aren't getting enough water or need to be moved where they can get some shade. Is it too late to dig them up and move them? Do some cannas not get very big? I looked at the picture of tobee46's cannas and wow, knocked me back. Is that even possible in Texas? I'm new at about everything gardening so need all the advise anyone can offer.

szarvas, Hungary

Dirtygirl71, I thing it's a tropical collection dwarf canna !
http://www.parkseed.com/gardening/PD/90331/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.