3 Inch Hydrangea Blooming - Miracle or Ordinary? Or Bad?

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Last September, my dear friend's (since kindergarten) mom passed away. Mrs. Paulsen, as I always called her, was like my second mom. I got my friend a plant to memorialize Mrs. P - a hydrangea 'Pinky Winky' - with a promise to take a cutting this year and grow a plant for her sister. So, a couple of weeks ago, I did. It rooted. And . . . IT BLOOMED!! (See picture) Is this rather unusual since I followed instructions to take a cutting of a stem that did not have a flower bud? I want to think this is a wonderful message, sort of, from Mrs. P, but perhaps it's not uncommon? Or . . . if that cutting had an invisible dormant flower bud, is this an indication that the cutting will not grow to a plant?

Thumbnail by sherriseden
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Congratulations!

Though the standard advice is to take a cutting from a stem that hasn't bloomed there is success to be had with some that have bloomed. I had one last year that bloomed as a new cutting and it's larger (of course!) and prettier this year. Here is the photo as it first bloomed.

Why not pot it up and put it in dappled shade, making sure it stays damp (not drenched)?

Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.