Sunburn ferns!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

My ferns are burning up from the sun. They are in the most shade I have. I didn't have this problem last year but they weren't as big and the weather was different.

I guess there is nothing I can do. And I suppose I should just leave them alone and not cut off the damage frons.

Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by venice62

Ok, here is a better photo.

Thumbnail by venice62
Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Can you cover them up with like a laundry basket or something then grow an annual fast to shade them? A row cover might help but wouldn't look too nice then you could deal with it for next year. Maybe put a trellis by there to grow morning glories on to shade them? You could do something like that for next year. Some morning glories don't reseed that much I think they are the I. nils I'm not a morning glory expert by no means :)

Get some lattice and put it there to shade them?

LeBug, that is a good idea. However, that area is right next to my patio and I don't know how sturdy I could make a lattice. Another thing, notice how the sun has burned the ferns through the cracks of the fence even! I suppose most of the damage has been done by now. Those ferns were really pretty before all of this awful hot weather.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Such a shame I bet they were beautiful :( At least you will know for next year and can plan for it.

I had a hard time with plants in the back in my huge shade garden (75' long) some old oak trees finally fell apart I finally gave up and in the process of moving everything closer to the house but having shade is the problem not enough to plant everything I want to keep up here and I keep ordering more shade plants lol I'm so bad!

I planted two oak leaf hydrangeas for more shade but they are just babies and have some bog sage that I started this year to put there and think I can move a Bowman's Root that is two foot this fall to help shade but wondering if it's going to be too much sun for it and how big it's going to be next year if it's tall enough by next year it should help but again the big 'if' is it being too much sun until about 2 or 3 in the afternoon the sun really gets hot out there.

Good luck :) Come back on next year and let us know how it's going I hope it all works out for you!

LeBug, it seems like your garden is heading in the right direction!

I live in an apartment and I have a very tiny garden with 100 sq. ft. on 3 sides of my patio. So if you add that all together in one piece, it would be a 10 x 10 plot. Also it seems to me it is hotter this year but that may be my imagination.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

We set a record for the 90 degree days in June this year so it's been hotter here for sure :)

I guess those spaces would be harder to plant with taller plants. Maybe this will just be a freak summer and next year won't be so bad.

Maybe some SI irises in front of them those would be nice, not sure how much sun they need mine are in full sun but I think they could handle a little more shade. I don't know much about irises you'd have to ask some one else about how much sun they take :) I love the foliage on those when the wind blows.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.