How is your garden doing ?

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

So far our garden is growing like gangbusters. With the heat and the rain the plants are very happy. We're picking yellow crookneck squash and zucchinni daily. The green beans have blooms and we have green tomatoes. The broccoli is heading up as is the cabbage. In fact we should start eating some of that cabbage. I've taken some pics to share.

The flower garden is doing awesome. THe roses have never been more prolific. I guess it was all the rain. We haven't had to fight any pests but I hit everything with the fruit tree spray that I add some fish emulsion, seaweed extract, Messenger and Liquid Fence to every two weeks.

Our fruit trees are doing well. We lost one cherry this year. No known reason. We lost one apple too. I'm sure it was because it's feet were wet with the heavy rains. All the other apple trees are doing well. We have a lot of apples on our honeycrisp trees which are our favorites. We have loads of prunes, peaches and pears.

So, how is everyone else's garden doing? Got pics to share?

Thumbnail by Loon
Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Snap beans are great, picked a peck on Friday, Delicious.
Tomatoes are really good, planted a little late but should start picking next week.

Thumbnail by paulgrow
Clinton Township, MI(Zone 5b)

My tomato plants are coming along nicely and I have already picked some hot peppers, my sweet pepper fruit are small right now but growing nicely. On the perennial flower front, the coneflowers are spectacular this year, the Cora Bells still have their blooms on them, and the Shashta Daisies are just starting to bloom. My carnations and salvias have never looked so good!

The herbs are going like gangbusters! The perrenial herbs (winter savory, oregano, sage, thyme, and strangly tarragon) need a haircut every few days to keep them from blooming. The annual herbs (basil, cilantro, parsely, borage) are taking over the spaces I have put them in. I share my herb bounty with my neighbors, and they share theirs with me. Across the street, the young man married a woman from Thailand. I share hot peppers and herbs with her, and she in turn, invites me over for the most AMAZING Thai meals! I share the basil, oregano, sage, etc. with the Italian woman around the corner, and she turns them into a pasta sauce. She spends all day making vats of sauce and brings some over for lucky me. I keep telling her I want to join her on 'sauce day' and learn how to make it myself, but she just giggles and says, 'Maybe next year.' She makes a homemade gnocchi (sp?) with butter and sage that will make you weep!

My State Fair Zinnias (my all-time FAVORITE flower) have really popped this week. I will be cutting my first arm-full this week and I cannot wait! I also cannot wait to share the beautiful bouquets with family and friends!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

You are very lucky to have neighbors who so appreciate you herbs that they feed you!! That's wonderful.

Yesterday hubby brought in a ton of peppers and more zucchinni. I bet I diced up 50 or more green peppers and put them in serving sizes in the freezer. They'll be great in the winter in meatloaf, chile, soups and stews and stir fry. They are so expensive to buy in the store. So easy to grow. I made more zucchinni bread yesterday. This time I put some fresh blueberries in it and it came out really good.

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

Well....

Thumbnail by Patriotboy247
Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

and....

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

pole bean arch I made out of a 16ft cattle fence...

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Great pics!! Love the pole bean arch.

I've been a tad under the weather. Wouldn't you know it? Hubby brought in three bushels of vegetables and I just groaned. I got my neighbor to take almost all of it to feed her four kids. She in turn gave me some of our been from their cow they just had butchered. Worked for me. I know the garden will keep producing and by the time the next round comes in I'll be well enough to do something with it. There were tons of long green flat beans and long yellow beans and cucumbers, zuchinni and yellow squash. No big ripe tomatoes yet. The garden looks like a jungle now. :)

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I had 2 little viseters in my garden last night I looked out and there they were !! 2 little girls I'v never seen before picking flowers I went out and asked the one that dident run what she was doing and she told me her MOM told her to come get her some flowers !!!! sssooo I had to tell her that she could NOT come in my yard again unless she came to the door first and asked me then I would show her which ones she could pick then we would CUT them poor child was scared to death !!!! I cant be mad couse there right out front by the ditch but maybe I made a new friend ;0)
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Gloria, that is some nerve of that woman to get her kid to steal flowers. Poor kid. I bet she was scared. Too bad you didn't get to talk to her mom. At least you know your flowers are so beautiful that someone wants them. :) What kind were they?

Brenda

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Brenda I'm hopeing that she was just scared and said that I can't imagine any one sending there child to steal that would make me mad she was so cute though
Gloria

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

Hopefully they misunderstood their mother. Wouldn't be the first time thats happened...as long as they aren't taking your hose or tools :)

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

If they did that I would realy find out where they live LOL
Gloria

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I had the same experience only the girls were in the l0 to 12 year old range. They were helping themselves to all my asiatic lilies. I told them they needed to ask permission and it was wrong to help themselves to something that didn't belong to them. They just snarled at me and walked off. Gosh, we were taught as kids not to mess with other people's property. I guess kids aren't being taught that any more.

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Unfortunately so many things have changed with kids these days and not for the better! My son and I were in the secretary of the state and some girl was wearing a longish sun dress with a totally open concept of where the bra "should" be concealed... I really didn't care to see her black lace bra thats for sure.... My son says "oh come on mom I'm sure they dressed that way when you where that age" (he's 16) I said uh no we didn't dress that way... with our underwear and bra's showing like it's nothing those where concealed and only Madonna did that! LOL ;)...

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, thats very true alright.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Which SOS office was that?? :)

Paul

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

ha ha Paul... 23 mile and schoenherr! ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.