Dykes Medal for 2010 - 'Paul Black'!

Bakersfield, CA

I hope it's OK to let people know, because I just can't keep this to myself... I just got an email from Paul Black and he says it's official -- the iris 'Paul Black' has been awarded the Dykes Medal for 2010! It was hybridized by Thomas Johnson, who just won the Wister Medal for it last year. And Thomas has also won the Cook-Douglas award for his SDB 'Ultimate'. Paul has won the Caparne-Welch Medal for his MDB 'Chemistry', and he is totally surprised that his SDB 'Eye of the Tiger' has won the Walther Cup for 2010! And Paul also won the Walther Cup last year for his BB 'Bundle of Love'. Way to go guys!!!

Lebanon, OR

Yes, received the email from Paul and I KNEW it would win, as I voted for it:) There were many on the Dykes list that was outstanding and I had grown about 2/3 of them myself but came back to PB every time. It is a perfect iris. Both Paul and Thomas are so talented. I told them they both deserved the awards.

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes, same here, so it can't be a secret. I think you're OK to tell the world. I voted for it too.

It's well deserved!

South Hamilton, MA

The Walther cup is for the largest number of honorable mention votes--pretty good for a SDB.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

oh great... thanks ladies! Another one that I've got to get! LOL!!!

South Hamilton, MA

Morgan Wood medal for siberians is HERE BE DRAGONS. The AIS calls the medal winners &then the Awards chair types up the other awards & will post them on AIS awards on their site irises.org.

This message was edited Jul 11, 2010 2:11 PM

Raleigh, NC

Don't ya just KNOW Paul is busting a few buttons - Tom, too! I can see him smiling, now - he's got such an impish grin!

editted to add - I don't have Tom Johnson yet, but Paul Black (the iris!) is a surefire winner here, too. It outgrows and outperforms all the irises nearby.

This message was edited Jul 11, 2010 2:11 PM

Raleigh, NC

hey, Lucy, speaking of sibs, would you know where to buy Tree Of Songs?

South Hamilton, MA

That is why so many judges voted for it. I have never seen an area where it doesn't grow well--not said about all medal winners, I'm afraid.

South Hamilton, MA

Buy from Joe Pye Weeds gardens.

Raleigh, NC

bless you!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Here Be Dragons is a fantastic sib. Congrats to Jan and Marty!

Lebanon, OR

What about the Spuria and Japanese awards as not on the awards page for AIS and I am dying to know

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Don't know. Normally I get an email from Dennis Hager about the JI award, and nothing yet.

South Hamilton, MA

Isn't the JI voting closed at a later date? Aug.?

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I am so thrilled for him to have his namesake chosen for such a prestigious award. It is a Wonderful plant and he is a wonderful Hybridizer along with it's creator.

Lebanon, OR

You are right irisma later in August...but spuria should be out by now.

Thomas did very well with Paul Black for an iris but he just continues like Blyth to put very good iris.

D

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

Always has been one of my favorites!

Paul Black

Thumbnail by Mshadow
Bakersfield, CA

Great picture of Paul! I look for some tremendous award winning TB's in the future from Thomas. Here's one of his for this year, BRIGHT SUNSHINY DAY, I think my favorite 2010 introduction so far. The flower is not the best because of the continuous rain they were having at the time, but isn't it a beauty? What color!!!

Thumbnail by Betja
Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

That is pretty! are there white spots on the stands..?

Bakersfield, CA

No, I think that's just damage from all the rain. Here's another picture of it, taken at the iris show in Brooks the next day.

Thumbnail by Betja
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

That is a beauty.

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Hooray !
for Paul and Tom
^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.