Volcan, Panama

Hello. I am new to this forum. I live in Volcan, Chiriqui, Panama which is near the border with Costa Rica. I am about 1400 meters in elevation. Like most of Panama and Costa Rica we get pretty high rainfall with a short dry season and a long rainy season. I have 7 hectares of land with about half of it in woods. I have some native species of orchids and bromeliads growing on the trees. Of course in a wet climate it is a challenge to grow certain things but rain forest plants grow very well. I have some wild heliconias growing on the property. Tomatoes here are usually grown in plastic greenhouses to protect them from the rain. So are peppers and various ornamental plants such as Geraniums. Impatiens are not native plants but they have escaped and grow like weeds. In the rainy season they are always in bloom. Anyway I look forward to enjoying this forum.

Keaau, HI

Hi Robert!

Welcome to Tropical Zone Gardening.

Sounds like your climate is very similar to windward Hawai'i. Show us some photos.

Aloha, Dave

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Virginia Beach, VA

Welcome!!! welcome!!! Belle

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hello :)

My name is Josh!

I'm dying for some pictures!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Welcome Robert and Josh!!! Look forwards to seeing you guys around here.

Kapaa, HI

Aloha from Hawaii and welcome

Xai Xai, Mozambique

hello, hello!!!! and welcome from a cool, sunny mozambique!!!!
isaac

Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico(Zone 11)

ˇBienvenidos de Yucatán! Yes, post pictures. It's a beautiful area.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha Robert, so glad you have joined us! Your area sounds lovely, I hope you will post some pictures for us to drool over!

Jenn

Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

Volcan Panama. Hope to visit there someday.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Welcome! Would love to see some pictures! Sounds wonderful!

Aloha Y'all! Happy Holidays Everyone!

Jeanne

Webster, WI

Hello! I am also new to this forum, and to tropical gardening. My name is Kathy, and my address says Webster WI. but, I have just purchased a winter home in Pine Island FL. (zone 10)

I'm real excited about learning how to grow all of the wonderful tropical plants I've only been able to see once or twice a year!
I will retire in a year and then am planning on 6 mo's in FL and 6 mo's in WI. I have planted a few things but, will wait to do the majority of my landscaping when I'm there for the winter.

So hello! so great to have this nice group of people to exchange ideas and advice with!
Kathy

Keaau, HI

Hi Kathy,

Welcome to Tropical Zone Gardening!

Don't forget to show us photos of your garden and plants.

Aloha, Dave

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha Kathy, I am looking forward to hearing all about your new place. How nice to be able to spend six months in WI and six months in Florida! The best of both worlds!

Jenn

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Aloha Kathy! Welcome to Tropical Zone gardening!

Jeanne

Webster, WI

Thank you for the welcome everyone!
I will be going down to my place in Jan. and will bring back new pics........ been a "labor of love" so far, but like I said I can't wait til I'm down there all winter.

Kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.