Sopota ?

Dahlonega, GA

Will it make fruit in zone 9 b or 10 a

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

You are probably referring to Sapodilla or Sapota. I know they are grown down in South Texas by Port Isabel and RiversEndNursery carries them.

Dahlonega, GA

Never could spell . I want to put them out about 40 miles N of Corpus .Thanks , I'll check with Rivers End

Saint Petersburg, FL

Sapodilla will fruit in 9B with protection. You'll lose it to a cold winter though.

If what you're looking for is Sapote there's several kinds, the White Sapote is hardy down to about 22, the Black, Mamay/Green, Ross Sapote are really not built to stand freezing temps.

Dahlonega, GA

I have the white .

Keaau, HI

Sapodilla, Manilkara zapota likes to be in warm humid environments.
It has long been cultivated in Central & South America, and the Caribbean.

I have been growing it in upcountry Hawai'i for several years, but have never gotten it to set fruit yet, although it does flower.
A few of my friends in the lowlands are growing it and it produces well.

Dahlonega, GA

I'll put them (all two ) out on the south side with a wire fence around to cover if it gets too cold . Last year , we had 25degrees three nights in a row . Very unusual .

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

They were selling them fresh off the trees when I was down at RiversEnd in May. They have a very pleasant after taste.

Saint Petersburg, FL

Mine fruited last year, but I couldn't seem to get them at the perfect degree of ripeness. The first ones I harvested were still latex-y and the last bunch were a little "off".

No fruit this year, as the freezes knocked it way back.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Digger, Is there a Corpus, GA? If you are referring to 40 mi. north of Corpus Christi, Texas, that would put you somewhere between Refugio and Goliad — somewhere between zone 9a and 8b. Corpus is in zone 9a. Hardiness temperatures given are for the plant itself, not the fruit.

Dahlonega, GA

Nope, Texas . Right at Copono bay on the coast .I do have trees for shelter all around me .

Dahlonega, GA

Short up date . They froze . Another bad winter this last one . Won't waste my money on any more tropicals . Do have lemon grapefruit and lime . The have withstood two bad winters .Have loquat and they have done well .

Dahlonega, GA

Getting ready to make it back to Tex . I'll see what the drought has done to my little trees that were left after the freeze of last winter .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.