Help!!! I've never tried to grow Morning Glories

Bolivar, MO

I can't see any blooms, I'm sending you a picture. We mixed them in with red trumpet vines, I thought Morning Glories would be EASY. Thanks, Lindy

Thumbnail by lindylea13
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

well you do have blooms to the cypress vine which is the frilly stuff with red blooms . give them time. seem to be doing great in the picture.

give a little liquid bloom boost( miracle grow) and should see blooms some take longer to bloom but they look great.

Bolivar, MO

Thanks, I have been trying to micacle grow about every two weeks and I was afraid all I was doing was making BIG leaves. I post pictures when they bloom

(Zone 7a)

Lindylea - welcome to the morning glory forum - hope you make yourself at home here. Your vines look very healthy and should reward you with many flowers.

In years past, in my garden, the morning glory vines have tended to make lots of linear growth during the first hot weeks of summer, produce a flower here and there in the heat, but come September as the days shorten and temps cool down a bit - all of a sudden the flowers come out and have quite a party - and stay open much longer into the afternoon, sometimes into the next day.

karen

edited to acknowledge that my 2 cents are just a variation on Imzadi's good advice, "give them time"

This message was edited Jul 10, 2010 2:04 PM

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

opps should of said there is a product called bloom boost by miracle grower. but you can use regular miracle grow to and should see blooms soon.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Lindy - Wow! Your vines look great! I am sure they will be blooming soon! Did you know that butterflies and hummers like the cypress vine blooms! You may have those little fellas zipping around your garden when your vines start blooming! :-)

I saw that you are new to DG! Welcome! I took a peek at your photos on your garden diary. Your tomato plants are HUGE!!! I'd like to know what you are using to fertilize them! LOL! I only started growing tomato plants this year and I grew the cherry tomatoes, not the larger varieties. It gets so hot here that I figured the plants would fry in the summer heat. Makes me want to move a little further north so I can grow more veggie plants. :-)

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Hi lindylea, Last year was my first year too. I waited and waited, foliage and foliage,
then just as Karen said it happened! I never even used a bloom booster!
Be careful your gonna get hooked.

Jon

(Zone 7a)

Jon, I haven't used bloom buster, either - I just dig in a shovel-ful of compost when planting out the seedlings.

Some do seem to get spectacular results with chemical fertilizers. Hopefully those more knowledgeable than I will chime in on both the pros and cons of fertilizing with chemicals or otherwise. The sticky index has some good information on folks' experiences with fertilizing morning glories.

Karen

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Hi Karen, haven't heard from you in a goodly while. I hope all's well with you.
I use a mix of cow poop and compost but I do use a 5- 10- 5 to keep stuff going or they just seem to run out of steam! Bit like me these days LOL!

Jon

(Zone 7a)

Jon, I hear ya on the 5-10-5 and running out of steam part - too bad we can't just put a little in our morning tea and charge off like 2-year olds.

(methinks the world's a better place with my ideas left to fantasy)

lol

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

I agree!

Bolivar, MO

The advice I was given in early July was right on the mark. I was afraid that my morning glories were all vine and no flowers, But now------------------------------- thanks, Lindy

Thumbnail by lindylea13
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Lindy - Gorgeous Heavenly Blue blooms! Your vines look awesome!!! Congrats on the pretty blooms! I am sure you'll be enjoying them for weeks to come! :-)

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Those are just beautiful!

Mesilla Park, NM

Very nice, worth the wait for sure.
A.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.