July Blooms

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Can't believe that we haven't started this already;)

balloon flower. Always love the clear blue on these.

Thumbnail by tggfisk
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

An unexpected gaillarda.

Thumbnail by tggfisk
Durham, NC

Louts

Thumbnail by maryquite
Clyde, NC

The Balloon Flower is a very pretty blue!
On the mountain, we are just finishing our daylilies:

Thumbnail by Mountainbeauty
New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

My granddaughter is visiting, and she is a terrific photographer. She took this photo of our Star of Texas.

Thumbnail by Entlie
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Very nice:)
I have Star of Texas that hasn't bloomed yet. Looking forward to seeing it.

candy lilies

Thumbnail by tggfisk
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Crinum Ellen Bosanquet

Thumbnail by tggfisk
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Stokesia Peachie's Pick...and visitor:)

Thumbnail by tggfisk
Sumter, SC

Variegated tapioca

Thumbnail by donnacreation
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Very cool plant, Donna!

Raleigh, NC

thanks tggfisk! can't believe I only have a few sad looking roses blooming right now. Those are great lilies!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

'Director T. Moore' tropical water lily.

Thumbnail by ardesia

A few Formosa lilies the deer left for me.

Thumbnail by ardesia

This is the only cordyline the deer have not gotten yet.

Thumbnail by ardesia

Bougainvilla, I forget which cultivar.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Very nice:) I especially love the water lily. I have had...forgive the pun...marginal success with them. This year is too hot and the water levels in the pond tend to be too variable.

It has been unbearably hot here too and the pond I have right now is one of those little pre-formed ones from Lowes. How oftern do you fertilize your lilies? I find in hot weather when my pond is steamy, they need more fertilizer.

I an not sure if the tropicals would make it through the winter where you are but I know the hardy ones would. They need to be divided annually in warm climates.

Sumter, SC

It's so hot and biting buggy, I'm wondering how much a climate controlled spacesuit would set me back. All of the pics are beautiful! I love your cordyline and bougainvillea, Ardesia. Are they cold hardy down your enchanted way?

Perennial hibiscus (with japanese beetle damage) and special garden visitor.

Thumbnail by donnacreation
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

A very good suggestion about adding more fertilizer during the hot weather. You are right about the zone for tropicals. There's no way I could overwinter them, much as I'd love to try. I'm afraid that the non summer months are just way too busy to deal with non essentials around here, lol!

Yes, both are hardy here although the bougies will defoliate in the bad winters like the last. The cordylines might even die to the ground but will come back from the roots. It is easy to take cuttings from them, keep them indoors for the winter and have instant color in the spring.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Morning Glory

Hanahubuki

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Rose Silk

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Platycodon Blue

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Sun Smile

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I went thru my seeds and started all the oldest ones .. they are all on a large frame I built out of pvc & chicken wire. I sequester a few each night before they open so I can hand pollinate and be sure of no crosses.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

All beautiful, X! That Hanahubuki really is outstanding:)

Here's Rudbeckia Henry Eilers just beginning to open nicely.

Thumbnail by tggfisk
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Oops! Should have rotated it. Wanna try again?!

Thumbnail by tggfisk
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Eucomis Sparking Burgandy.

Thumbnail by tggfisk
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I like the "flaked" mg's too. I have an eucomis that is just starting to show it's "pineapple" I've had it for 3 years and hopefully once it blooms I'll know the cultivar.

X

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Here is a jaw dropper .. Dancing Ladies Ginger, Globba winitii.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

And another .. this one is just starting to bloom .. flowers haven't opened yet, but it's sure getting ready. Black Bat Flower, Tacca chantrieri. When it fully opens I'll post another picture .. this year is the year for stuff I never dreamed would bloom are blooming.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Yup! Jaw dropping right now, lol!!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I did some trading with zone 9 tropicals last year as I had tons of plants he wanted .. I told him to surprise me .. along with a few requests. Well the Globba was a rather uninteresting plants with sword shaped leaves that stayed in the gh all winter .. the leaves disappeared around January and I forgot about it until spring when it started to put on new leaves .. I repotted it in a larger pot and stuck it outside and forgot about it .. until I walked passed it on one of my walkabout and saw the bloom!

The Tacca was a seedling I got last year and it almost didn't make it .. again I repotted it and stuck it outside. Most Tacca seem to take years to bloom so I wasn't expecting anything this year .. and again I was doing a walkabout and boom! there was the flower stalk.

Clyde, NC

Butterfly bush

Clyde, NC

Double Rose of Sharon that was given to my husband by one of his lawn cutomers who died.
I think of Dottie every time I see these beautiful blooms.

Raleigh, NC

that double rose of sharon is something else - glorious!

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

It sure is, MB...Collect seeds:))

Clyde, NC

I will give it a try. Do I just leave them alone til the pod is dry on the stem?

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Himalayan Impatient...thanks to Tropicana for so many new plants for my new home!

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Crocosmia....

Thumbnail by rednyr

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.