Flowers earlier than last year

clinton, MI(Zone 5b)

I started most of my Dahlias in the greenhouse this year and I think I am getting earlier blooms.

At any rate, I have posted some of my photos on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50697352@N00/sets/72157623582849587/

Pretoria, South Africa

Beautiful!

Boise, ID

That is one crazy process, I'm gonna have to ask where you got all your pots and trays and what-not. What kind of mixture are you using for soil in the pots?

clinton, MI(Zone 5b)

edewitt - Got the Dillen pots from Morgan County Seeds

4.5" square light green 194 1 120.00 Price = 1-4 cases 120.00(+119.60) case =765 pots
4.5" square shuttle tray 149 1 61.00 Price = 1-4 cases of 50 61.00 case was 50 trays

pots are heavy plastic and will last for years...

I used miracle gro soiless mix with time release fertilizer.

And, plant markers from http://www.dpind.com/default.asp

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow, you really have it down to a science! Very impressive!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

WOWSER now THAT'S a dahlia op! Thanks for sharing fdr2164

Boise, ID

I'm considering trying this method out around mid-March when most of the vendors are shipping my tubers. The only thing that makes me cringe is slicing up the tubers. I'm sure you wouldn't do it if it didn't work and didn't damage the tubers but I'm still wincing at the idea.

San Jose, CA

WOW is right!! What do you do with all your beautiful plants?

Could you go into more detail about this process- how moist is the soil when you put the tubers in, how moist do you keep the soil and how do you moisten it, do you put them all under lights inside, do you use a heat mat? Lots of questions.

Almost seems like the tubers will grow in a wide range of temperatures.

I've only got 15 to figure out what to do with right now but I did spend $90 for them so want to make the right choice. I've never tried potting them up but it seems like a good way to give them a head start on the season.

I really shouldn't plant them in the garden until mid-May. So it's either leave them alone (some came in vermiculite and some in saran wrap) and plant the tubers in May, or pot them up.

Thank you,
Ginny

clinton, MI(Zone 5b)

Eric, you can always use a bigger pot:) However, cutting larger tubers in half does not harm them. You can also start them from cuttings from the tuber.

Ginny,they do not require any water until they start growing. If you water too early, they could end up rotting. Sometimes I spray a little water after I plant just to keep it from being too dry.

Indoors, I use lights or set them near the window. I do not use heat mats.

May 1st I move them to the greenhouse.

Also, in CA you should be able to plant out before mid May.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.