Crinums

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I love crinums and I am sure there are others here that feel the same way too. how about sharing your pictures?

None of mine are named for the most part due to moving them and tags not moving with them.

Thumbnail by Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here is another that is just slight lighter in color than the one above.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I love this one it is a huge plant.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Another white one.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Light pink

Eunice, LA

Beautiful. The white spidery one is so exotic.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Very pretty Marie. Are all of yours fragrant? I only have three but no IDs as they were shared by older local gardeners. I have a red which rarely blooms and when it does, I can't seem to capture the color in a photo.

This one is similar to your spidery one.

Thumbnail by podster

This one is a July ~ August bloomer and intoxicatingly fragrant. I usually smell it before I see the blooms.

Thumbnail by podster
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi Podster. None of mine are named either. I had them tagged but when I realized that they were too big for the area I had them in I had my husband help me move them but for some reason taking the tags with them was not important :o) None of the ones above are very fragrant. My firend has one that is though and I am hoping to get one from her in the fall!!

Named or not, they are pretty aren't they! I am surprised more folks haven't shown us their Crinums... lol

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have an over abundance of the dark pink one. If you would like one I can send it to you?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Marie, yours are beautiful :) I love Crinums!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Not sure how hardy this would be for you but I can find a baby to send you Josh.

Orangeburg, SC

It's a little early in the season for my crinums, but a few have bloomed. Here is a NOID white.

Thumbnail by Deebie
Orangeburg, SC

And a NOID dark pink.

Thumbnail by Deebie
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

This particular crinum did not bloom this year, but here is a photo from last year taken Aug. 3, 2009. I had it in the ground for about 4 years, no bloom, then it bloomed beautifully last year, but no budding stalks in sight this year. Does anyone else has this spotty performance from the crinums? I did buy a cross between a crinum and an amaryllis belladonna one year, so this may be one of them? In the photo, a regular A. belladonna is blooming in the background.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Orangeburg, SC

Nope, mine bloom their heads off every year. It is only this year that the blooms stalks are appearing late. We've been having some really strange weather.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Soilsandup

That is an amarcrinum! :) I have several Amaryllis Belladonna and Crinum mix

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

I had all sorts of blooms last year on my Amarcrinums but none this year. Yet!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Marie,

Some of those Crinums you posted look like species,

Moorei *The Light Pink You posted* http://www.bulbsociety.org/GALLERY_OF_THE_WORLDS_BULBS/GRAPHICS/Crinum/CrinumSpecies/Crinum_moorei/Crinummoorei.html ANOTHER link with a pinker picture http://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Crinum_moorei

This Is Crinum Americanum *Your Spidery Picutre* http://www.bulbsociety.org/GALLERY_OF_THE_WORLDS_BULBS/GRAPHICS/Crinum/CrinumSpecies/Crinum_americanum/Crinum_americanum.html

The first two pink looks like a Hyrbrid Ellen Bosanquet http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/77859/

Marie, I hope that helps some :) I'm not 100 PERCENT sure, these are just what I think!

Josh

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Well, call myself a liar. LOL I went outside yesterday and there is a big flower bud on the Amarcrinum. I don't remember them being this late last year.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Anyone ever seen a crinum bloom this small?

About what size is the bloom? Is the plant small also?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

The plant is only 12 inches tall.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

I know that Daylilys come back in zone 6a (where my mom lives), what about Crinums? I would like to share a couple of them with her, but not if she'd have to dig them up every winter.

I have a Sunset zone listing for the Crinums. What state does she live in, I will gladly look it up? Thad Howard Bulbs book says there are some Crinums hardy to zone 7. I suspect if her ground soil freezes the answer would be no. If not, the bulbs are at least 6 inches deep and a layer of mulch might survive her winters. Otherwise, they will grow in a pot that she could get moved in to a garage or basement in winter. Just a thought.

Marie ~ I have read about short Crinums but will have to try to find the information on them. Cute little plant...

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thaks Kristi. I have never had one bloom that small it confused me when I realized it was a crinum.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi all, I have a 'giant' noid crinum with its first bud, or an inflorescent. The common 'Milk and Wine' crinums are hardy here in my zone. But this one is definately tropical. I tested planted one outdoor, and it didn't survive our winter. This one is in a container that get sheltered indoor during the winter.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Marie

That's Crinum Oliganthum! Another species :) Where did you get these bulbs Marie, you've got quite a collection :)

Kim ~ please post a photo when your giant NOID crinum bloom opens up. I'd love to see it. How tall it is?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Kristi, here is it this afternoon. The individual flowers surely will all open by the morning. It's about 3 feet tall? I'll get several pictures to share tomorrow.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Good thanks ~ I am looking forward to it!

JoshY ~ which one of Maries Crinums are you IDing please?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Before sunrise, the inflo. hasn't fully open up. I looked up the crinum, although the leaves are green. However, the stalk and flowers of mine are red. So far, I do not know which one mine is. Anyone here can help with the ID. Marie, have you got one that's similiar?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/120227/

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Christi, the plant itself isn't terribly big. My regular, hardy crinums are just as tall. However, these bulbs are huge, they could be larger and more elongated at the 'neck' compared to the regular crinums. I've 3 bulbs in this pot. After two years, I've noticed there are quite a few offshoots. This is my very first flower stalk.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Looking forward to the open blooms. You are keeping us in suspense! lol

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Christi, it has been a dreary, drizzling day all day. No sunshine to speak of. Perhaps that delays the flower opening. Here it's unfurling a little more, but no individual opening of any florets.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Pretty picture Kim but that drizzling business is "no fair"! We are dry as a bone here. Nothing is thriving and most plants are just hanging on.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I know, I know. It has been hot and dried here too, except the humidity is ever climbing. Today was one of those few that gave the garden some relief with gentle rain. Here is another one to tie us over, 'til the morning.

I've planted a couple new crinums with dark pink blooms this spring. They have shown no sign of blooming yet.

Okay, it's someone else's turn to show off your crinums. lol.

p.s. I counted those individual finger-like protrusions, and there are exactly a dozen of those from the stalk or inflorescent.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The suspense is getting to me too. Another overcast day. And the crinum refuses to open up.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.