Silent movies?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I've seen a few. I think AMC is showing one every Sunday night. Last night we watched The General by Buster Keaton. Robert Osborne said this was Keaton's favorite. Based on a real event when a southern train engine is stolen by Union Army in Civil war. Kind of interesting. Very little dialogue in this one, virtually none, and not silly like I expected from Keaton, but there was some humor and sarcasm. The funny thing was, we were both kind of tired, we would close our eyes 'for a second' and forget that if you don't WATCH you don't get any of the movie with silents! So really, we started last night but finisihd tonight whne we were awake. Its kind of neat to think that when he crashes the train into the river, it had to be an actual train, not computer done or miniaturize version. There was some action with the female lead, and I suppose for the time 1923? it was really a surprise to see a woman on film in very unglamorous unladylike action like getting doused with water, or put in a sack like potatos.
I saw another of his with a really funny sequence near the end, he's going across town in various conveyances trying to get to the church before his sweetheart marries the wrong guy.
Any fans?

This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!