Thumbnail by guamsorbit
Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

combo

Stolen Kiss
Venetian Brick
Kinchen's Yellow

Thumbnail by guamsorbit
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Soooo pretty! Love them all, especially that Sleeping Beauty, Energy Burst, and Creole Lady!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow, Dee. These are all stunning. Think High Voltage is my favorite but then I look at another one & think it is my favorite. Oh, heck, they are all favorites. Great photography too. Thanks for sharing with us.

Hugs,
Judy

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

They're great photos Dee. You've captured the colors excellently. The flower power of "Venetian Brick" looks great with all those blooms. The splash of colors on "Energy Burst" is great. "High Voltage" speaks for itself when it's blooming. Most every bloom has perfect form and shape.

Petaluma, CA(Zone 9a)

Wow - all those varieties of Hibiscus, you must have a backyard that looks fantastic. Good to know that they can be grown in Northern Cal, as thats where I am as well. Do you put them in the hothouse over winter? Or do you have some other trick?

Thanks all for the comments.

Welcome to the forum ShepMike

All my plants are in pots and depending on their size were overwintered either in my home or on a deck which is protected from the elements. If you are interested in growing hibiscus there is an Armstrong Nursery in Novato that carries a number of Dupont Cajuns in 2 gallon pots in bud/bloom and they are currently on sale for $19.99. Let me know if you are interested in seeing what they have available and I can send you the list. If the local store doesn't have the variety you want in stock, they can order it for you. I recently picked up the Creole Belle, Stolen Kiss, Madame Dupont and Cajun Lady pictured above and have been wowed with a number of blooms already. For the price the 2 gallon size is a good buy and in your area will be able to withstand winter much easier than a smaller plant. :-)

d

Petaluma, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks guamsorbit, I always enjoy exploring nurseries. I'll definitely check out Armstrong Nursery - it's on my way home from work. I currently have five hisbiscus, which I need to over-winter every year along with my brugmansias. Its worth doing, but my hot-house is sure getting full....

Los Angeles, CA

Great collection! How big is your ventian brick? That is one prolific bloomer!

Thanks Gibberillins welcome to the forum. Venetian Brick is a couple feet tall now. I got it last year in a 6 inch pot and it is blooming like gangbusters. I love seeing multiple blooms on a plant. It makes the plant seem HAPPY :-)

Being in LA you're probably a customer of HVH. Have you ever gone to their open houses? What lovelies do you have?

Los Angeles, CA

Hi Guamsorbit!

Your Venetian Brick is really something!

I have been to HVH twice for open houses, but have many of their lovelies. My ever growing collection includes:

First Love
Byron Metts
Rockets Red Glare
Creme de la Creme
Bonnie Lass
Acapulco Gold
Cindy's Heart
Sunkissed Blonde
Saffron
Belle du Jour
The Right Stuff
Dragons Heart
Flickering Flame
Burnt Saffron
Dragon's Heart
Haute Couture
Illuminati
Black Dragon
Black Cherry
Vin Extrodinaire
Dragon's Breath
Cosmic Gold
My Blue Heaven

Geez I didn't realize I had so many, but now that I wrote them out I realize that I have a huge problem :P

I also just got: Shockwave, Strawberry Cream, Pinot Noir, Island Girl, and Raku during HVHs last update. I will take some pics when they all start blooming :)

What CVs do you have? Looks like you have a pretty nice collection going as well :)

LOL. If the number of hibiscus on that list is a problem, there are quite a few of us in big trouble!!!

I have some of the ones you listed and (to Jon's point) many more. I also lost more than I'd like to admit this past winter so I'm trying to replace some. Let me know if you'd like to trade wood as you have a couple CVs that I'm looking for :-)

Los Angeles, CA

I would be willing to trade some wood :) Let me know what you have and what you want :)

sending dmail :-)

Huber Heights , OH(Zone 5b)

Here is a list of some of the one we have, this is just by memory I am sure I missed some.. And we have about 40 seedlings that haven't bloomed yet.

High Voltage
Penny sue
Yellow Submarine
Cheery disposition
Over the Rainbow
Swamp Music
Sleeping Beauty
Ghost
Silver Memories
Blue Ballerina
Tahitian Purple Queen
Tahitian Purple Slendor
Tahitian Taui
Tahitian amber
Tahitian Princess
Tahitian Extrodinaire
Tigeroma
Etouffee
Stuffed Jalapeno
Eva Paoloni
Briar Patch
Fruitango
Dupont (un named )
Bayou Irene
eye of the Storm
Gator Magic
Nakita
Creme De la Creame
Creme de coca
fallen Hero
Gabriel
Lucky Lady
Moon Maiden
Creole Lady
Chocolate Delight
Grand Hyatt
Black Jack
Black Cherry
Heaven's Scent
flame Thrower
Simple Pleasure
Moon Shadow
Moonstruck
Heart of my heart
Dragon's heart
Dragon's breath
Black Dragon
April Showers
Black Dream
Chartusse rose
Cinnamon Girl
Pocahontas
delta Dawn
Gerald Derr
Hot Ticket
Key Largo
Key Lime Pie
Lady in Waiting
Magic Moments
Magnifue
Rum Runner
Pay Dirt
golden Lollipop
Topaz glory
Valentines Day

and I am sure I missed some

Where do you put all of those to get them through the winter up North?

Are you up for trading wood too Patrick? You're getting quite a collection there!

I'm always willing to trade.

sending dmail!

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Patrick,
Being that I only have babies right now, and that Im just starting out. I cant offer a trade, but would you be willing to give a cutting or two for $? I understand if you dont. Just thought I'd ask.
Thanks
Kristen

Kristen you're on my list for cuttings :-) Have you tried to root one yet? Hate to see you waste time and energy for naught.

Hi John,

It never seems like too many until winter comes and they have to come inside. We have 2 rooms in the back of the house and a empty bedroom upstairs that we use. It's like a forrest in winter time.

Patrick and Donna

Do you use grow lights in the winter or do they get enough light through the room windows to get them through the winter?

Hi John , we just use the Fluorescent lighting, it keeps them going but the only ones that bloom during winter are the ones that get sun light.

Patrick

It seems like the garden varieties are the most reliable indoor bloomers for the cold months. At least that's what I've noticed. The garden varieties have been getting much more attention down here recently with collectors and at hibiscus shows. They've been winning some awards at shows and a new "garden variety" category has been created for entering blooms at our local chapters monthly hibiscus mini shows. One local nursery now has a very large selection of them with about 15 different varieties.

Interesting Jon...what garden varieties are winning? Has that opened the competitions up to new participants in the shows?

I do recall a Pride Of Hankins (typical root stock plant) winning a category at a Florida show this spring. There were a couple others also, but don't recall the names. Occasionally I'll watch the Hibiscus Show results on You Tube. That way you get to see video showing the actual winning blooms with their names. Just go to You Tube and type in "Hibiscus Show" in the search field. There are quite a few videos from various shows in Florida, Texas and Louisiana.

(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

Patrick I'm batting my eyelashes, haha! I want on the cuttings list also! I'm going to try my hand this week with cuttings from a walmart hibiscus I've had for several years just to see if I can do it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.