Q&A FOR JULY 31st RU

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

This is the place where I'll post specifics and you can ask questions or add. Please post here regarding what foods, beverages or supplies you can bring.

NOTE: See asterisks below for food being brought.

The RU will be at Maypop, July 31st from 10a.m.-4p.m.. We are located in Cleveland, GA., equidistant to Cleveland, Clarkesville and Helen. We are approximately 80 miles north of Atlanta. I will send directions via DM to those on the guest list starting next week. We are easy to get to from I85/365 or SR 400. Please let me know ASAP if you need weekend stay info for this area.

We will provide beverages and a bagel brunch to kick off early arrivals. Meet and greet, swap and share...whatever. Lunch should land sometime between 12:30 or 1p.m.. I will be making a variety of sandwiches, on a variety of breads and veggie accompaniments from the garden. I will also make a garden mint tea. If you can help with...
1) Desserts
2) Additional beverages (such as soda because we don't drink it)
3) Side dishes (any and all welcomed)

*Paper goods and punch provided by Elaine.
*Pam is bringing a side dish and possibly a desert.
*Sally is bringing cottage cheese, pineapple , peaches, pears, grated cheese, boiled eggs "so you can make your own salad". Hopefully , tomatoes.
*Cheryl is bringing ice and deviled eggs.
*Ken is bringing assorted beverages.
*Suz is bringing macaroni salad, s'mores and name tags.
*Danita is bringing a desert (we think it's a cheese cake).
*Mike will have cucumber salad.
*Jim and Patty will have a "store brought" as they are on the road.

*Laurel will have a bagel, butter and garden fig jam, and veggie cream cheese brunch with beverages. For lunch...a variety of "gourmet" sandwiches to include garden ingredients, mint and spice garden tea, several garden inspired pickle and relish dishes, a garden slaw, a black bean and corn salsa and a lemon cake with pineapple/lemon/lime cream cheese frosting (maybe a few blueberries) if any are left.

Your help is very much appreciated.

If you smoke, please take a short walk and pack out your butts. I know several here do smoke. You'll have plenty of space to do that.

Parking might require some additional instruction, depending on numbers, which will be sent with directions. We've got lots of space, but it's filled with trees and mountain side.

A reminder to not bring your BF if it has four legs. See post regarding that if necessary.

Look forward to seeing everyone and hope all and more can make it.
Laurel

This message was edited Jul 28, 2010 12:02 PM

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

I'll be glad to help. Bring some app., or whatever you need.

Thanks, Elaine. You are traveling a piece. If it would be easier to add some paper goods or beverages, LMK.
Laurel

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Ok,,, will bring paper goods.. and maybe some punch I have in the freezer that you just add ginger ale to. (it would be very refreshing,, if this hot weather keeps up...
we are getting some wonderful rain right now,,, after 2 days of hot weather. I'm still not complaining.. I hate cold weather.!!!

Thanks, Elaine, for listing.

I wanted to add...

That we have outdoor seating here and there and a couple of camp chairs but if folks do have a spare camp chair or two it would probably be useful. Also, I've seen photos where people bring dogs to RU's. Please leave pets at home. Our dogs will be fenced for the occasion. They love people but are annoying. Our Plotthound considers anything on four legs and under 800 pounds fair game.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Laurel and all,

Sorry to be tardy in replying. I just saw this thread accidentally; I guess I missed it in the RU thread.

I'll bring a side dish and possibly a dessert.
And Laurel, would you DM me the directions? I don't know if I can find them from before.

Thanks. I am not sure what I'm bringing to trade etc. I have a huge pot nursery right now but have been collecting for a cousin's new garden and to replant an area DH is making terraces right now. So I'll have to sort through and see what I can part with!

Pam

Thanks for volunteering goodies Pam. I'll start getting directions out to everyone on the list this week. I'd like a few of the rigid two gallon ones if you have any for when I repot Cymbidiums. About that huge nursery Pam...is it a "joint" project with your cousin? :>)

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

It's joint in the sense that I give her the plants and she plants them! LOL. She did a good job to be a "civilian" (as in a non-plantaholic) at her last house. Some of the plants looked better under her care than mine! So I'm sure she'll give the new garden a good home.

I'll look in the barn and see if I have any 2 gal.

The thanks go to you for hosting this (and your DH).

Pam

We are very much looking forward to seeing everyone. I'll post reminders on the RU thread for people to look for those other two threads. Also, I'll continue to edit and update my first post on those threads to include current information so please re-read occasionally to be up to date. They don't "bump up" with edits.

Pam, if you go pot hunting, I need the thick, rigid ones 'cause the Cymbidiums stay in them several years and they bust the walls of the thinner pots. Thanks for looking. An aside...your Coreopsis rosea gift is blooming like crazy. Love it!
Laurel

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi,

I'll see if I can manage a cheesecake again, but regardless I will bring a dessert of some sort since I'm better at baking than regular cooking.

Danita

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Times running out, but we will bring our cucumber salad, that is cukes, onion, tomatoes, sometimes black olives.I'll surprise you, and will bring Jay,(My oldest friend), we were in the Army 50 yrs. ago, and still kids.Looking foward to seeing everyone, and hoping Danita gets to her chese cake in time, so no body bother her. Mike, Barbara, and Jay

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Sorry everyone...out of town clients are going to tie me up next weekend. With Real Estate being so slow, I really though I was going to be free.
Have lots of fun everyone, and take pictures.

See you at the next one,
chris

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

"...and take pictures."

I'll do video for ya and upload to YouTube

Oh this is scary. Ken. Maybe I should have done something about my "graylights"? Are we almost famous yet? I was concentrating on the food part and not thinking about the makeover part.

I've just learned Danita's mom is a photographer. This looks like it will be a well documented event. Hope Terry isn't watching. LOL!
Laurel

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

OH MY, and I have been too busy to get my highlights and haircut.. oh well, I'll just use an alias on my name tag. LOL

Well, since you are camping Elaine, remember the 'pits and legs. lol

No close ups, Ken.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Laurel,, say what?? I "camp" on a queen size bed with air (along with 2 doggies).. they will be staying in the motor home of course.
But I do love an outdoor fire with marshmallows when it's cooler....

Hope he doesn't have a zoom lens..

:)

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Oh my... Yes no closeups. Don't need one of me either with my botched nose job from a few years back.

I should be in the area at about 11.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.