Jamaican Cherry Discussion

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Started a new thread for discussing the Jamaican Cherry!

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I dont hate how much fruit it produces. I just like to flaunt it like a jerk.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2010 7:55 PM

Gainesville, FL

One of the fastest growing fruit trees, but not very long-lived (probably needs to be replaced after about 10 years or so). Seems to thrive on most soils, I have never noticed any real pest/disease problems here in Florida.
To me the fruit tastes like cotton candy.

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

Does anyone have any pictures of the fruit or tree/shrub and how does it taste? Is it the same thing as Barbados Cherry or totally different?

Gainesville, FL

Jamaican cherry:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56251/

Barbados cherry:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57614/

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

It fruits twice a day. The taste is very musky, pleasant and sweet. It can grow very very fast. There are some pictures I took of mine in the other thread for Muntinga.

Cotton Candy, huh? I'll have to find out. Yes, I was wondering if it was the same as a Barbados cherry.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

They are not similar to Barbados Cherry.

Yes, they do have a cotton candy taste. Some people say they taste like sugar cubes with a little something mixed in.

One of my trees tastes more like a sweet musky watermelon creme and the other tastes like a sugary old liquor.

My wife hates them both but everyone else seems to like them.

On a scale of 1-10, I rate them a 6.5.

Saint Petersburg, FL

Yes, twice a day, I'm faithfully out there shaking my tree for new fruit. Year round in warmer climes, 8 months of the year here in Florida.

It's addictive, but mine tastes more like sweet buttered popcorn to me than anything else. Can't get enough.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey!
You are right. It does kinda have a sugar buttered popcorn taste.
The flavor is very hard to pin down.

LOL!!! I guess I'll just have to wait and find out what the flavor will be like.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

well according to the Jamaican family next door it is some flavor to behold... and nothing like it!

she and i went to an outdoor market back in feb and found one for 15 dollars and i thought it would be nice to plant between our properties since she has small kids....but we passed and now CAN NOT find one!!!!

we r both still searching!! we will find another soon i hope!

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

There are some avaialble for trade on another post in this section.
You can also get them from Logees.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

yikes...LOVE logee's just NOT the prices....lol!!! i'll find one around here somewhere! i hope!

Saint Petersburg, FL

Tobee, lots of local nurseries in Florida carry the Jamaica Cherry. And you'll get a much bigger one than Logees will send for about the same or less.

I know the Rare and Exotic Fruit Council always sells them at the USF semi-annual plant sale too. Next one's in October.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks carolyn...i was certain i should be able to find out here cheaper. the one at the local market was almost 5 feet for just 15 dollars...i can't imagine what the shipping would be on that one!!

thanks again for the info, i'll find one i'm certain of it!

Glendale , AZ(Zone 9b)

Don't worry about it growing....cause I planted mine in May 2010( in this pic it is about 4-6 inches tall...)
and in the next pic (taken in August 2010) it is 6 feet tall!!!
So when you plant it ....move out of the way or you might get a mouthful of leaves....lol

Thumbnail by brusedthumb
Glendale , AZ(Zone 9b)

in this pic @ 75.0 inches......(taken Sunday the 22nd of Aug., 2010)

Thumbnail by brusedthumb
Glendale , AZ(Zone 9b)

Well, it's growth is steady......and it is starting to harden and become woody on the branches/stems and the fruit is getting larger... I'm excited!

Thumbnail by brusedthumb
San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Mine put on about 10 feet this year since the spring. I am going to cut it down to about 3 feet and wrap it up this winter and hope it will come back from the roots. I have another on in a pot that I take inside. The roots got outside the pot and it shot up in growth about six feet in six weeks. What a funny crazy tree.

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

I know this is an old thread but thought I'd ask anyway incase anyone still is watching it. I have this tree in a pot and love the berries it produces.....I cannot get enough. I wanted to try to grow a few from the seeds. Anyone have any tried and true methods for growing them from the fruit off the tree? I tried squishing a few into soil and watering but nothing. I'm also trying the paper towel method right now so we'll see how that goes. But any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.
Samantha

Thumbnail by astcgirl
San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Take cuttings with root hormone. You will get some to take and it will fruit and grow faster.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

By the way, mine is going nuts right now. Big fat ones. Everyone goes crazy over them except my wife that hates them. She says they taste like Yankee candles. Whatever that means.

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

Thanks Jujubetexas, I never even thought to take cuttings, I will try that today. The one I have in a pot is going crazy also, but I have to beat the squirrels who have finally discovered it. Does yours survive in the ground during winter? I lost the one I had in a pot last year due to the cold from leaving it outside wrapped up. I was just wondering since you said you covered yours up that was in the ground, how did it go?

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

It got down to 16F here and it got nuked. Expect it to freeze to the ground if it gets in the mid 20s. I was hoping it would spring back from the roots but I think 16F was just too much.

I have one left in a pot. It is about 8 feet tall.

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

Ok good to know jujubetexas, I'll probably set one in the ground if I get a cutting to root just to trial through the winter. Can't have enough of these tree's/fruit.

The one in my pot is about 6-7ft, have to pull the branches down to reach the berries.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

It is also nice to have something that flowers 9 months out of the year too.

Harlingen, TX

Does anyone know where to order one online? I was hoping to buy a larger specimen. Pine Island nursery won't have them ready until August.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Two vendors in Plant Scout list it--have you checked to see if either of them have it in stock? http://davesgarden.com/products/ps/go/56251/

Harlingen, TX

Well I'm not sure if I should trust Logee's and I don't think the other place had them in stock. I searched for Florida nurseries with high ratings and Plant O Gram has them in 3g containers for 50 bucks :/ not cheap but its a larger specimen and they have good ratings.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Why wouldn't you trust Logees? They're a little more expensive & plants are smaller, but that's true of many mail order places. Maybe there's someone else who offers a size or price you'd like better but I'd definitely say they're trustworthy. I've always had great luck with them and they've got good reviews in Watchdog.

Harlingen, TX

Oh I may have been thinking of another but they still have several for 2011-2012 which sends up a red flag for me.

Anyway, plant o gram only has 6 reviews so that could be why but they are all positive and people said the plants are large and healthy. It did say it was a 3 gallon size plant so thats the same as pine island nursery.

Harlingen, TX

I just got my plants in today, a strawberry tree (jamaica cherry or Muntingia Calabura) and a free surinam cherry. Both were 5 feet tall and healthy. I have seen better plants (Got a cherry of the rio grande from pine island nursery last year that was very healthy and fully branched) these trees were still healthy and quite a bit taller though so I guess it depends on your preference.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Just keep them well watered and in the shade until they have acclimated. It is going to be a brutally hot week.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.