Kitty & Cocoa 4

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This is the story of Kitty, a recently adopted stray, and her son Cocoa, officially part of the county's TNR (trap, neuter, release) program but quite determined to have a real home here with us. If you've followed the story up until now then you know that after Cocoa was neutered and entered into the program for feral cats, he suddenly did a 180 becoming not just 'tame' but amazingly sweet and loving. Cocoa seems to crave human contact. For this and other reasons, we suspect he may have some Burmese in his ancestry somewhere.

Cocoa is making great progress these days and is now staying indoors most of the day and sometimes well into the night and early morning. At present his comfort zone indoors includes the LR, foyer, stairs, and front hall only. A few times he has ventured to the great room and kitchen looking for me, and once he made it as far as the very isolated master bedroom. I'm most encouraged by his progress.

Kitty, having been dumped by her former owner and left to survive on the streets alone while carrying her 1st litter, has some definite trust issues. Since her adoption, she has been more than a little aloof. Right now my part in the drama of her life is mostly limited to that of waiter, doorman, and litter maid. Although Kitty still cares for her son Cocoa (as evidenced by their interactions when I'm not around), she thinks it is high time he found a place of his own and moved out. (Hmm.Some things just seem to transcend species, don't they?) Kitty, having come to us with so much prior baggage, is progressing at a painfully slow rate, but I guess that is to be expected. I figure it will take a whole lot of love and time to win her trust, but luckily I have both. In the mean time, while she doesn't give much affection neither does she cause any trouble.

Prior thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1099476/
Beginning: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1089241/

The photo below is of Cocoa playing under the skirted chaise lounge in the LR.

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
This thread has 243 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!