DAYLILIES FOR 2010 - WHOSE IN!? - PART 2

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, ok, now we are up and running. We sure had some lovelies posted on go round 1!

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1110344/

I started that thread with Ida's Magic and I guess Ima gonna start this one with her loveliness again..

No, its not the camera.. she is a bit of a different color than her predisesor for me. Seems my soil had a lot to do with color on some of my DL's

Ida is one and Streaker is another that goes color goofy on me.

Yup, heres IDA this year!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

That is very interesting how you mention the color, I looked it up in the PF to see how they vary and it looks like lots of peoples are similar color to yours... while others are much warmer in color. I like the warmer shades and it disappoints me when I see a daylily that looks peach or orange and looks like a rose or pink for me.... What is your soil like? Sandy, Clay or Loam and is it naturally on the acidic or alkaline side? I have very sandy soil and it is naturally slightly acidic, last time I had it checked it was a 6.4 and that was after I had limed. I always wonder if my soil would make daylilies have a tendency to make things less or more warm looking? It makes sense because acidic soil makes hydrangeas blue while alkaline soil makes them pink, so I don't see why it wouldn't affect DL's and other flowers too. : )

Gentle Shepherd opened nicely today... yesterday it had it's FFO, but the flower never opened fully.

Thumbnail by Meredith79

Hey Bud had it's FFO today, but the flower never fully opened today. We'll see if I get any tomorrow.... I can see why it's named Hey 'Bud' it has so many buds it is amazing.

Thumbnail by Meredith79

Siloam Meredith Atkinson had a nice bloom today. This is only the third bloom I've seen on it, including one from last year when I planted it. : )

Thumbnail by Meredith79

Louise Mercer, first flower open for me... isn't very double yet.

Oops I put the wrong name... I fixed it :)

This message was edited Jul 16, 2010 7:01 AM

Thumbnail by Meredith79
Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Darla Anita takes a while before it gets it's act together. Finally can post a decent looking one.

Thumbnail by pastime
Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Personal Favorite.

Thumbnail by pastime
Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Raspberry Wine.

Thumbnail by pastime
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I would say the soil here is pretty alkaline as my Endless Summer hydrangea goes to a lovely lavender!

It is sand, however up in the DL gardens, we have ammeded soil and it is not as sandy as my back forty! Night and day difference there. The back forty is a gold colored pith poor sand and I have a few specimens of DL's back there and they do pretty fair. I have been thinking of poking in more back there to see if they would do better.

DL's that it has the most change for me here are Streaker and Ida's Magic. Streaker is a near white cream normally, but here it is peach. Oddly my whites are pretty white.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Grandmother.

Thumbnail by pastime

Thanks for sharing Blossombuddy : ) So far all of mine have bloomed true to what I thought they'd be. I feel like my reds aren't as warm this year though. It has been very hot and dry, where last year was cool and rainy at this time. I have noticed my orange pinks are much lighter and blending in with the yellows in them, a lot more... I think weather has a lot to do with it too. My FFO on Hey Bud looks completely different than last year, but maybe it will change. And my FFO on Shay looked almost pure cream, where last year it had a pretty decent pink eye. I'll post some pictures of them.

Here is Hey Bud (looking much different than last year)

Thumbnail by Meredith79

If you want to see what Hey Bud looked like last year, it is in this picture album, along with all my others including this one 'Shay'... http://picasaweb.google.com/FlutterbugGarden/Daylilies?feat=directlink

Thumbnail by Meredith79

I added a lot of daylilies just last year so there aren't that many in there and most oif them were just purchased that year. It didn't take me long to get hooked... : )

Here's Red Hot Returns from today

Thumbnail by Meredith79

I like this shot better. :)

Thumbnail by Meredith79
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

OooOh I like Red Returns! I have Happy returns, Stella and Purple de oro which are all related , then I have a couople of my own versions of dwarfs.

I notice that often times the plant is not the same as last year. Lots has to do with the maturity of the plant. Some of what you think are mature are not and then the next year they go whaam in bloom size or color too.

My Future Form was on that I thought was a small flower and boom she got some size to her bloomers this year boy!

This one is Siloam Golden Nugget. Now it has always been an orange sherbert color... this year however her blooms seem to be edged in a little white frosting....I am not sure what caused that, but I like it! I realllly reallly like it!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

This DL is an open pollinated hybrid parents unknown, but I really like it! Her bloom now seems to be mature at three years so I can now get an honest idea on size of the plant. The mother clump is a dandy. She is a bitone too and I love bitones! I did not care for them at first, but now I am seeing some really swell blooms and I would love to try to develop a nice bitone with a heavy pie crusted edge one day.

This bloom is on the decline. I wish I had a chance to photo her earlier.. but she has part of my goals in a bloom I would love to see.

I need ot acquire some blooms that possess the heavy picrusted edges to cross her with now, but dont have any of those. (*g* BEG!)

I Have Idas Magic, but I dont like her color for a cross. Om wanting to find a near white with yellow crusting in a polychrome color hoping to give the baby a shimmering crusted bitone effect in this blooms color..

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I beleive this one is named and would have to check my map.. right now all I have is that its the 7th bloom on my southern row of my sqaure garden for location!

I am constantly working on maps and this year I am finally able to have most of my blooms all photoed. I am making new folders on the puter and then will be later working on a cumputerized map. This garden here has been a monumental project in mapping. Ihave 3 some odd acres in garden beds and all of them have issues of some description be it weeds, or needing mapping or some lame thing.

If and when I get my phtos all filed and mapped I will have maps that show the blooms in their location and then they maps will also be in color. I will better be able to manage some breeding later and most of my clumps are pretty established except for of course the newbs.

I need to actually thin my main nursery out so I can mow between the clumps and my hub said I need a back hoe to dig some of those puppies out.. (Ya think Dear?!!!!)

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Orange Vols en masse again....

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Eeks , that pic of Orange Voles is very pale. IN the garden in real light, she sets her space on fire with brightness. Im gonna have to tough that photo up later.

here is number 5 from the west end in the south square garden... I beleive it is named, but wouldhave to look it up.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

This one is located at my back porch, Its named, but of course my lack of memory at this time fails me.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

White Frost... eweey.. I knew I should have picked the spent blooms! LOL!

It is a pretty DL, but this pic doesnt do it any justice

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

White Temptation

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

This is ONO....

oops left a "booger" bloom.. sheesh, when am I ever gonna learn!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

This one is actually a more lemony yellow and I am not sure who it is. It is in my northern most iris bed along with a few other DL strays....

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

a couople of NOIDS on my square gardens west end... middle row or there abouts..

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Wedding Band

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

This is either Colt or Coy.. Im leaning that it is Colt

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Siloam Golden Nugget.... I love this daylily and its sherbert orange color and the frosting on the petals.. this is the first year it frosted though and I do not know why!

I noticed the same thing on my Red Hot Returns, it has a lot more white along the edge this year than last! It also keeps blooming splotchy... I did move it last year, so I bet it is just re-establishing itself. Also it is getting a different amount of sunlight. All you DL's look great! I a going to go back and look better, I had been really busy the last few days.. preparing for a B-day party, having the party, them cleaning up from the party!
We finally had some rain after a two week or more drought with 90 degree plus days... Of course it was the day before the party so when all the flowers bloomed completely more gorgeous than before, I didn't have time to get pictures! I got some pictures the other days and when I have time later I'll go through them and pick some to post here Have a great day! : )

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, you do the same there and we will wait with "baited breath" to see your pix!

I think I may have had a disaster in my garden. The other day the hub and I agreed to spray the DL's with a brush killer to combat the rasberries that invaded their space so we sprayed two huge nursery beds thinking oh boy, this will get them!

A couple days later I was inspecting the beds and holy crap! Beds started looking like they were attacted by Roundup...panic panic panic! The daylilies were burning from the weed killer. Now we had done this before without trouble and Im a thinking what went wrong now? SO I told the hub, look, they did not fire at the base of the plant just on the leaves so I am gonna mow them and hope the killer did not get into the plants base. Jeez, so here is what they looked like a couple days ago.

Now Im also thinking they were on the wain so that may have been also why they looked so bad. And it has been pretty dry soooo...

I will know in a few more days or so if we killed the whole beds. IF so you will here a bloody scream from the far corners of the earth and back.

Oh no!! I wonder if they got drift!? Hopefully they will recover!

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

That's scary. I think mowing them is a good idea. There's plenty of summer left for new growth to appear. Hoping they will be ok.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

It will be a PRIMAL SCREAM for sure....

The two beds are 100 some feet long and about 20 feet wide.....

Here they are now mowed. You can see the green grass circling each bed. Bed A has the maple trees in it and bed B is treeless.

Anyhone want the firewood from those two maples? They well be coming down maybe next year. I have had it with the whirly gigs. They are weed maples. Lord I wish they were sugar maples though! I would put up with the whirlgigs then, but they are on the chopping block.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I need to get after the clippings now before they burn the grass between the beds.. gads, if its not one mess its another!

Here is bed B and C. We thankfully did not spray C and you can tell now how big those beds were because the hoophouse is 100 foot long.

I hated to mow them too because they were just in the peak of their bloom, but God, I was not gonna take a chance and see. Hopefully they plants roots will have enough energy to come back.

Bed C is gonna get mowed soon. My beds got so weedy this year its just awful.

They are all named varieties in these beds too... sniff. sniff....tears... as I pre-greive and await the the final diagnosis.

Gardeners lament... somedays stuff does not go as planned.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

Quote from BLOSSOMBUDDY :
The other day the hub and I agreed to spray the DL's with a brush killer to combat the rasberries that invaded their space so we sprayed two huge nursery beds thinking oh boy, this will get them!

You mean you sprayed the raspberries, NOT the dl?
Brush killer will kill your DL.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

The diagnosis is not in yet.... We did the brush, it was not sposed to harm the DL's... dont know if it did but in a last ditch Hail Mary effort mowed the beds hoping the chem did not reach the roots yet.. Time will tell. I am not getting why they fired.. since we did this before and had no harm.. It could have also been because it has been so dry...maybe just burnt the leaves. Some days gardening can really suck..

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

well the chem I understand only works if you get it on the leaves of a plant. It is inert once it hits soil. It somehow messes up the plant's ability to produce 'food'.
That is why it takes several days before you notice it dying.
Overspray will kill stuff, but it won't spread, or wash into the surrounding roots through the soil. If we are talking bout the same stuff =)

I went to a friends house and her daylilies all looked flat dead. really horrible. She said she hasn't watered them at all because of working. You can really tell a difference when they don't get that water. So,yeah, it is possible they just fried in the sun. They have the tendency to that anyway, after bloom is over, they really die back and look awful sometimes. You can seed some zinnias in over them to grow up for a little fall color.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well the chem supposed to be selective for broadleaves hence why we were after the raspberries out there. Dang prairie here is loaded and of course the birds gotta do their thingee all over my gardens.... soooo. fingers crossed. Its that time of year that stuff starts frying...some breeds go quickly others done. I hate using chems. DLS are a grass so why it burned, Ima, guessing more from lack of water...Just was too weird that it was in that location sending me to panic city.. but we will know more in a few days.

I wish I could get a couple truckloads of chips in.. that would help my cause here.

If her DLs are just fried from not watering, they will be back. Usually we willl mow all the beds to which I am in the process of doing, but man I could not beleive my eyes when I saw how bad they got.

The DLs we sprayed on our other area are unscathed.. sooooo...while I have hope, I am not really going YAY yet!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Now ya tell me.. zinnias.. I need a truckload of seed to put there! LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.