My Canna That came from seed

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I just had this little one bloom from a seed i planted back in april.. The seeds were "Erebus".. Its only about 18" tall, but the pink/peach blooms are beautiful.. First pink one I've grown..
jen

Thumbnail by smurf428
New Milford, CT

Wow, I'm jealous! I started a bunch of cannas from seed in April and they have magnificent foliage now, but no blooms. Are they supposed to bloom in the first year? I was planning on lifting the tubers and storing them over the winter, thinking that's the only way to get blooms from my seedlings.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I did get some to bloom first year when i did them last year, not all will however.. It really depends on weather, water, sunlight ect... This one is the first to bloom this year but like i said its only 18" so I'm sure thats why its bloomed already.. I had banana cannas last year that did bloom from seed first year, yet my one from a root never did.. The seed ones were only 4 feet high, but the root one was almost 8 feet.. Didn't keep any from seed last year cause i think they all were virused, the leaves would burn on most and they had the streaky look to them so better safe then sorry.. Plus i had enough roots from my good one anyways..
For sure as longs theres no signs of virus come fall i will be lifting them and keeping them till next spring.. Seeds started that year have enough of a root clump to keep.. In fact the ones i had last year from seed, were bigger then some of the roots i had purchased from stores..
jen

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Very pretty.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Heres my Ambassabour that just bloomed.. Very different from the mother plant which has bluish green leaves and a cream/white flower
My leaves are green and the flower more yellow then cream
jen

Thumbnail by smurf428
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

and the flower

Thumbnail by smurf428
Eunice, LA

I really like the looms of them. Congrats. So exciting!

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

thanks... I love to start from seed cause you just never know what will come out.. you sometimes get something close other this (in this case) completely different

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.