Citrus vs. Bananas vs. Pineapple

Big Creek, KY

I have 8 dwarf citrus trees in my greenhouse that have grown a ton since I got them in April. I've got them in Miracle-Gro "Cactus, Palm & Citrus" soil mixed with an equal part of vermiculate for drainage. I've recently added two pineapple plants and two banana plants. Will this soil work for them as well? I've gotten the impression that bananas like their soil more moist, but that pineapple like things drier - is this correct?

Also, I give the citrus a good misting a few times a week - will the pineapples and bananas like this as well?

Bonus question - I also have a coffee plant, tea plant, fig trea and jasmine - Does anyone know anything about their soil and moisture requirements?

Thanks a bunch!
Sarah

Saint Petersburg, FL

Coffee and Tea, both wet, humid and partly shady works well.

Jasmine like full sun. They should have similar requirements to the Citrus. Bananas don't mind wet feet, but Figs need a good draining soil (they are mediterranean, so imagine that climate).

My pineapples grow in partly shady, soil. I actually grow them right near my bananas, but don't water them as much.

Big Creek, KY

Thanks for your help!

I noticed the coffee plant looked "burned" when I first put it in the greenhouse, so I've had it shaded by bigger plants and it's doing well. I'll have to try shading the tea plant a little bit too.

Thumbnail by snoggle
Saint Petersburg, FL

Yes, indeed, the coffee will burn if it gets too much sun. Coffee Plantations use pretty much the same technique as you did: Planting coffee under other trees to give it some shade.

If you ever acquire a cocoa, the conditions for growing it are pretty much identical to the coffee.

Keaau, HI

Cacao needs quite a bit more water than Coffee.

Cacao grows best in windward Hawai'i where there is regular rainfall. It does not produce well in leeward areas.

Coffee grows in windward areas, but does best in leeward areas such as Kona.

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Big Creek, KY

Well, I don't think I'll be growing a cacao tree anytime soon - they get pretty big, don't they? My little 8 1/2 foot tall greenhouse probably couldn't handle that, but it would be pretty cool to try to grow it.

Saint Petersburg, FL

Good to know, Metrosideros! I've been dousing my coffee rather heavily, because I'd read somewhere that's what it liked. It's growing fine,but if I could expend less effort and less water and get the same results, so much the better.

Keaau, HI

Hi Carolyn,

The Coffee can handle the water, but it makes it less resistant to heat stress, and the beans that it produces will not have as much flavor as those grown in a drier environment.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.